Creating Custom Groups
Desktop Central provides an option to create custom group of computers
and users, which can be used to as targets for applying the configurations.
The advantages of custom groups are:
- You can have any number of custom groups to group
computers and users of a specific department. You can create this once
and can use these groups as targets for deploying the configurations.
- You can add or remove users/computers from groups
at any point of time.
- Groups once created can be used in any number
To create a custom group, follow the steps below:
- Select the Admin
- Click the Custom
Groups link available under the Global Settings. This will list
all the Custom Groups that have been created.
- Click the Create
New Group button and specify the following values:
- Specify a name for the custom group. This
should be unique.
- Select the Domain or the Workgroup from the
- Select the Group
Type as Computers or Users. This will list the available computers/users
in the selected domain.
Tip: By default,
the users/computers will get displayed in Tree View. Use List
View link to view users/computers as a list. Manual entry of computers/users
is possible using Manual Input option.
- Select the computers/users and move them to
the Added list.
- Click Submit to create the
Repeat step 3 & 4 for creating more groups.
- Click on the List View link for
the users/computers to be displayed as a list.
- Click on a particular alphabet to view the users/computers
with names that begin with alphabet specified. Use All
link to list all the users/computers.
- Click on the Sort link to sort
the listed user/computer names.
Tip: You can use the "Ignore-Prefix"
option in combination with your choice of alphabet. This will list all
users/computers that have the specified prefix and whose names begin with
selected alphabet. For example, the figure belows shows a case where DC
is specified in Ignore-Prefix and the alphabet chosen is W.
The resultant list therefore shows all the computers who have 'DC'
as their prefix but whose names begin with alphabet 'W'.
- Click on the Manual Input tab for
the users/computers to be manually added.
- Specify a valid User/Computer in the text field.
- Click on '>>' button to add the user/computer
in the custom group
will not be added and the application will throw an error. In that case,
specify the correct User/Computer name and add it again.
- Click on Create Group button
to complete custom group creation.
Copyright © 2005-2013, ZOHO Corp
. All Rights Reserved.