Live migration refers to the process of cloning a running virtual machine in a different host without disconnecting the original machine.
To perform a live migration of a Hyper-V VM,
- Navigate to the Virtual Environment → Hyper-V →Restore.
- Click Initiate Restore button at the top of the screen.
- Enter a distinguishable name for the restore operation for future references.
- In the Restore Type drop-down box, select Live Migration.
- Select the host where you want to restore the virtual machine to from the Destination Host drop-down box.
- In the Select Datastore field, select the datastore to which you wish to restore to.
- In the Resource Pool field, select the resource pool for the VM.
- Select the VMs that you wish to restore by clicking the icon in the Select VMs field.
- In the pop-up that appears, click on the Select Server down-box at the top right corner.
- Select the VMs that you wish to restore.
- Select the restore point that you wish to restore to and click Save.
- Select Power On VMs after Restore if you wish to boot the virtual machine immediately after restoration.
- Click Restore.