Manual Microsoft 365 tenant configuration
If the automatic configuration was not successful due to permission issues, the tenant must configured manually. To do that, select Click here to configure with an already existing Azure AD application. Please note that you can also opt to configure manually and skip the automatic configuration altogether with the option provided.
Prerequisite: A service user account with at least View-Only Organization Management, View-Only Audit Logs, and Service Administrator permissions. Click here to learn how to create a Microsoft 365 service account.
Manual tenant configuration involves the following three steps:
- Create an Azure AD application
- Configure the Azure AD application in M365 Security Plus
- Configure a service account in M365 Security Plus
Steps to create an Azure AD application
Click Manifest from the left pane.
Look for requiredResourceAccess array in the code.
Copy the entire contents from this file and paste them into the section highlighted in the image below. If you want to modify the permissions to be provided, skip this step and follow the steps mentioned in this section.
- Sign in to the Azure AD portal using the credentials of a Global Administrator account.
- Select Azure Active Directory from the left pane.
- Select App registrations.
- Click New registration.
- Provide a Name for the M365 Security Plus application to be created.
- Select a supported account type based on your organizational needs.
- Leave Redirect URI (optional) blank; you will configure it in the next few steps.
- Click Register to complete the initial app registration.
- You will now see the Overview page of the registered application.
- Click Add a Redirect URI.
- Click Add a platform under Platform configurations.
- In the Configure platforms pop-up, click Web under Web applications.
- In the Redirect URI field, enter http://localhost:port_number/webclient/VerifyUser. For example, http://localhost:8366/webclient/VerifyUser or https://192.345.679.345:8366/webclient/VerifyUser.
- You can leave the Logout URL and Implicit grant fields empty. Click Configure.
- On the Authentication page, under Redirect URIs, click Add URI.
- Enter http://localhost:port_number/webclient/ GrantAccess as the Redirect URI. For example, http://localhost:8366/webclient/GrantAccess or https://192.345.679.345:8366/webclient/GrantAccess.
- Similarly, using the Add URI option add http://localhost:port_number/AADAppGrantSuccess.do and http://localhost:port_number/AADAuthCode.do as URIs as well.
- Again click Add URI to add the below REDIRECT URIs in the subsequent rows. Please note that for users with M365 Manger Plus build 4409 or higher, REDIRECT URIs (b) and (c) are optional.
- If your tenant is being created in Azure Germany, copy the entire contents from this file and paste them into the section highlighted in the image below.
- If your tenant is being created in Azure China, copy the entire contents from this file and paste them into the section highlighted in the image below.
Note: Copy-paste content only from the open square bracket to the closed square bracket. Ensure that all punctuation marks are retained correctly. Once you have pasted the file, it should look like the image below.
Click API permissions from the left pane.
In the Configured permissions section, click ✓ Grant admin consent for <your_company_name>.
Click Yes in the pop-up that appears.
Click Certificates & secrets from the left pane.
Under the Client secrets section, click New client secret.
This section generates an app password for M365 Security Plus. In the Description field of the pop-up, provide a name to identify the app to which the password belongs.
Choose when the password should expire.
Copy the string under Value and save it. This is the Application Secret Key, which you will require later.
Now go to the Overview section in the left pane.
Copy the Application (client) ID and Object ID values and save them. You will need these values to configure your tenant in the M365 Security Plus portal.
Refer to this table to learn about the roles that must be assigned to the application.
Steps to configure an Azure application in M365 Security Plus
- Return to the M365 Security Plus console where you have the pop-up.
- Enter your Tenant Name. For example, test.onmicrosoft.com.
- Paste the Application ID and Application Object ID values copied in Step 33 into the respective fields.
- For the Application Secret Key, paste the value copied in Step 31.
- Click Add Tenant.
- You should now see that REST API access is enabled for the account you configured.
Steps to configure a service account in M365 Security Plus
- Now the service account must be configured. To do this, click the edit option under the Actions column.
- Click the edit icon found near Service Account Details.
- Enter the credentials of the service account you need to configure in the respective fields.
- Click Update, and close the pop-up window.
: If your service account is MFA-enabled, please check this section