How to configure SuSE Linux settings in Patch Manager Plus?
Patch Manager Plus for SuSE Linux enables administrators to manage all security patches that are released by the SuSE Linux, for subscribed SuSE Linux servers and desktops. It allows you to identify missing SuSE package updates, install them and audit the updates, helping enterprises maintain high level of security across Linux endpoints.
This how-to document provides prerequisites to patch SuSE systems and instructions to configure SuSE settings.
- Configure proxy settings and ensure https://scc.suse.com/subscriptions and https://updates.suse.com are accessible from the Patch Manager Plus server.
- Install Patch Manager Plus agents on the SuSE systems to be patched.
- Allow your proxy to download .rpm files.
- Verify if you have purchased sufficient licenses for your patching requirements.
Steps to configure SuSE Linux settings in Patch Manager Plus:
- Provide the valid registration code that is available for your SuSE subscription. Patch Manager Plus requires registration code to validate your subscription and download metadata files and patch binaries for your SuSE machines.
- You will find the registration code on the SuSE portal
Architecture and process of SuSE patching:
This section explains the processes involved in patching SuSE systems using Patch Manager Plus with the help of an architecture diagram.
Steps involved in the process of scanning and patch deployment:
- a) The Patch Manager Plus server syncs supported latest patches information from ManageEngine's central Patch Repository.
b) The patch Manager Plus downloads the metadata files from SuSE repository. This data is required for scanning missing dependencies in SuSE machines.
- The server initiates scan on all the SuSE systems and detects the missing patches and its dependencies.
- Then it downloads the patches and dependencies from the SuSE repository.
- a) The downloaded files are replicated from the Patch Manager Plus server to the Distribution Server(s). The remote office agents download the files from the Distribution Server.
b)Other agents download the files from the Patch Manager Plus Server.
- Once patches are downloaded and available, deployment is carried out.