Event ID 4749 - A security-disabled global group was created
|Sub category||Distribution group management|
|Description||A security-disabled global group was created|
When a global distribution group is created in Active Directory, event ID 4749 gets logged.
This log data gives the following information:
|Subject: User who performed the action||Security ID
|New Group: Created global distribution group||Security ID
|Attributes||SAM Account Name
Why event ID 4749 needs to be monitored?
- Prevention of privilege abuse
- Detection of potential malicious activity
- Operational purposes like getting information on user activity like user attendance, peak logon times, etc.
- Compliance mandates
ADAudit Plus audits, reports, and alerts group management actions performed on distribution and security groups making Active Directory auditing much easier.
Event 4749 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10
Corresponding event ID for 4749 in Windows Server 2003 and older is 653