Event ID 4761 - A member was added to asecurity-disabled universal group
|Sub category||Distribution group management|
|Description||A member was added to a security-disabled universal group|
When Active Directory objects such as an user/group/computer is added to a universal distribution group, event ID 4761 gets logged.
This log data gives the following information:
|Subject: User who performed the action||Security ID
|Member: Object added to the universal distribution group||Security ID
|Group: Universal distribution group to which the object was added||Security ID
Why event ID 4761 needs to be monitored?
- Prevention of privilege abuse
- Detection of potential malicious activity
- Operational purposes like getting information on user activity like user attendance, peak logon times, etc.
- Compliance mandates
ADAudit Plus alerts and tracks critical activities such as adding or removing user/group/computer to security and distribution groups, thus making Active Directory auditing much easier.
Event 4761 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10
Corresponding event ID for 4761 in Windows Server 2003 and older is 665
Explore Active Directory auditing and reporting with ADAudit Plus.
- Related Products
- ADManager Plus Active Directory Management & Reporting
- ADAudit Plus Real-time Active Directory Auditing and UBA
- EventLog Analyzer Real-time Log Analysis & Reporting
- ADSelfService Plus Self-Service Password Management
- AD360 Integrated Identity & Access Management
- Log360 (On-Premise | Cloud) Comprehensive SIEM and UEBA
- AD Free Tools Active Directory FREE Tools