Event ID 4781 - The name of an account was changed
|Sub category||User account management|
|Description||The name of an account was changed|
When the name of an account is changed in Active Directory, event ID 4781 gets logged.
|Subject: User who performed the action||Security ID
|Target Account||Security ID
Old Account Name
New Account Name
Why event ID 4781 needs to be monitored?
- Prevention of privilege abuse
- Detection of potential malicious activity
- Operational purposes like getting information on user activity like user attendance, peak logon times, etc.
- Compliance mandates
User history reports from ADAudit Plus provides information on all the change actions done on a selected user during his life cycle.
Event 4781 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10
Corresponding event ID for 4781 in Windows Server 2003 and older is 685