Event ID 4794 - An attempt was made to set the Directory Services Restore Mode administrator password
|Sub category||User account management|
|Description||An attempt was made to set the Directory Services Restore Mode administrator password|
In Active Directory, when the DSRM administrator password is successfully set using ntdsutil or the like, event ID 4794 is logged.
This log data gives the following information:
|Subject: User who performed the action||Security ID
|Additional Information||Caller Workstation
Why event ID 4794 needs to be monitored?
- Prevention of privilege abuse
- Detection of potential malicious activity
- Operational purposes like getting information on user activity like user attendance, peak logon times, etc.
- Compliance mandates
ADAudit Plus offers 'User management activity' reports that lists all the management actions done by any selected user or technician on Users, Computers and Groups in the Domain. It comprehensively displays actions executed by users in the form of easily understandable graphical charts and reports. Actions like user/computer account or groups changed, deleted, disabled, enabled, password set and account unlocked are audited, reported and highlighted through in these reports.
Event 4794 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10