How to enable file and folder access auditing in Windows Server?
Enable auditing at server level
- Start → Administrative tools → Local security policy snap-in
- Expand Local policy → Audit policy
- Go to Audit object access
- Select Success/Failure (as needed).
- Confirm your selections and click .
Enable auditing at object level
- Navigate Windows Explorer to the file you want to monitor.
- Right click on the target folder/file and select Properties.
- Security → Advanced.
- Select the auditing tab.
- Click the ADD button.
- Choose the users or groups you want to give audit permissions to.
- In the Auditing Entry dialog box, select the types of access you want to audit.
- You have to select the options to audit successful and failed eventsseparately.
- Click OK when you are done.
- Verify your selections and click APPLY.
Native auditing becoming a little too much?
Simplify file server auditing and reporting with ADAudit Plus.Learn More »