Event ID 848 – The following policy was active when the Windows Firewall started.
Whenever the Windows Firewall service starts, event 848 is logged. It essentially shows what Windows Firewall settings are active when the Firewall service starts. The 'Services', 'Security Logging', and 'ICMP' fields in the log respectively provide a list of services that are enabled or disabled, a list of the Customized Logging Settings in Windows Firewall, and a list of the ICMP settings that are enabled or disabled.
Note: This event only shows the settings configuration for Public profiles.
This log data provides the following information:
- Group Policy Applied
- Profile Used
- Operational Mode
- Security Logging
Why does event ID 848 need to be monitored?
- To check if the settings reported by this event are the same as the ones standardly defined.
- To compare the Public profile's baseline for Windows Firewall on different computers in the network
ADAudit Plus helps you avoid the GPOs monitoring complexities with real-time pre-configured reports and auditing of the changes along with alerts within a Domain & OU. The advanced Group Policy settings real-time audit reports highlight the elusive change details, and also provide the old and new values of the modified attributes.
Event 848 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2000
- Windows 2003 and XP
Corresponding event ID in Windows 2008 and Windows Vista is 4944.
Explore Active Directory auditing and reporting with ADAudit Plus.
- Related Products
- ADManager Plus Active Directory Management & Reporting
- ADAudit Plus Real-time Active Directory Auditing and UBA
- EventLog Analyzer Real-time Log Analysis & Reporting
- ADSelfService Plus Self-Service Password Management
- AD360 Integrated Identity & Access Management
- Log360 Comprehensive SIEM and UEBA
- AD Free Tools Active Directory FREE Tools