Modifying NTFS permissions
This option allows you to modify the allow or deny permissions for users on a NTFS share whenever necessary.
Steps in modifying NTFS permissions
- Select the Folders on which permissions are to be modified. Click the Permission link to view the existing permissions on this folder.
- In Select Permissions,
- Under Accounts, select the accounts – users and / or groups to whom you wish to assign the permissions.
- In Permissions, select the desired permissions from the ones available in the drop down box.
- Use the Applies To field to specify the folder level up to which the selected permissions must apply.
- Under Type, select Allow or Deny, as needed.
- If you wish to assign a different set of permission to a different set of users and groups, click the '+' icon located at the end of the current row and repeat the above steps. Using this option, you can set different permissions for different users and groups in a single action.
- Pick the appropriate option to specify whether you wish to allow inheritance of permissions for the folders (and their sub-folders), whose permissions are being modified.
- Click "Preview" to view the permissions that will be applied.
- Click "Modify" to save the changes.
You will notice a "View Recent Tasks" link on the top-right hand corner, clicking on this will give you a summary of the recent changes made to folder permissions.
Select the desired 'permission inheritance' option from the ones listed based on the your requirement:
Inherit Permissions : If this option is chosen, the folder/file will inherit permissions from their parent folder. (i.e.) permissions on the folder = permissions inherited from parent folder + permissions applied directly on the folder.
Remove all existing permissions and apply only these permissions: If this option is chosen only the permissions currently being applied will be effective, all the old permissions will be removed.
Make all subfolders inherit these permissions and remove all other permissions: It removes the direct permissions on all subfolders and applies the currently chosen parent folder's permission set to all subfolders.
The NTFS permissions modified as per the option selected.