Web remote is an inbuilt tool to facilitate remote sessions on client machines (Windows machines). You can use Web Remote from AssetExplorer application with zero installation (Without Java, Flash, ActiveX, or other plugins) in the client's machine. It will function as a separate service running on a default port 8083 which can be changed. Since it is a HTML5 browser based utility, remote to Windows machine can be perfomed from any OS/device. Web Remote also features the session capture and replay option.
Note: Web Remote feature is currently available for windows machines only, as it runs on windows desktop connection (mstsc.exe).
Prerequisites for taking Web Remote sessions
- RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) client service should be active in the client's machine.
- Make sure to keep the port number 3389 open as it is the default port on which the RDP runs.
- If the RDP runs on a different port, you can change it in the admin page.
- Enable remote connections on your machine by selecting "Allow remote connections to this computer" option under Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> System Properties >> Remote >> Remote Desktop.
Enabling Web Remote and Configuring Web Remote Settings
- You can configure Web Remote settings or enable web remote functionality by accessing Admin >> Remote Control Tools >> Web Remote.
- Click on Web Remote to open up the settings page.
- Server Name will be auto populated. Hence it cannot be changed
- Enter a Server Port Number. By default the Server Port is set at 8083. This can be changed. If the given Server Port number is occupied while initiating Web Remote, the system will try to occupy the next 25 ports.If none of the ports are available then Web Remote won't function.
- You can choose whether to record your Web Remote sessions by enabling or disabling the "Should record remote sessions" option.
- Enter the Web RDP port number. It is set at 3389 by default.
- You can choose to clean up the recorded session videos after a particluar time frame. Use the "Clean up recorded video(s) olden than-- days" to set the time frame.
- The recorded videos will be saved in the following path: <AE_HOME>\webremoterecordedfiles directory.
Note: It is mandatory to restart your application after making any changes to Server Port or enabling/disabling "Should record remote session" option.
- Click Submit to save the Web Remote Settings.
- Initiating Web Remote sessions from Asset module
- To take web remote sessions from the assets module,
- Click on the assets module.
- Click on Workstations under Assets > IT Assets from the left pane. Click on a particular workstation for which you want to take the remote session.
- Make sure to configure the remote control credential for the workstation.
To configure the remote control credential, click on Change Credential and click on + icon and configure the credential.
- Once you have configured the remote control credential for the particular workstation, click on Web RDP under Remote Control menu.
The Web Remote will be activated. The shortcut keys and the close session icon will be displayed on the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on the keyboard icon to hide the short cut keys.
- Click on the close icon to end the remote session. Note: Entering a comment before taking a remote session is mandatory.
- Initiating Web Remote sessions from Requests module Web Remote sessions can be initiated from Request module as well. If a request has an associated asset, then web remote sessions can be initiated from the request details page itself.
Web Remote History
Remote session history of the workstation will be stored under the history tab. If the session was recorded, then the video will be saved alongside.
- Click on the history tab in the assets details page. The series of remote history for the workstation will be shown.
- Click on Play Video to view the recorded sessions.
The session history will also be captured under the requests (If a request has a workstation association which involved in a web remote session) notes section.