How to deploy Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010?
This document provides steps required to deploy Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 to multiple computers using Desktop Central.
Before you deploy the software application, ensure that the computers to which you deploy Microsoft Office 2010 meet the system requirements prescribed by Microsoft. Refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351.aspx for more details.
To deploy Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010, follow the steps given below:
- Create a common network share to store the required installable file. Network share is recommended only while you wanted to deploy the software to computers within the network. If you wanted to deploy Microsoft Office to computers located in a remote location, you can use HTTP upload. If you wanted to know how to install applications which uses multiple installation files, through HTTP upload, refer to this document.
Note: The network share should have read permissions to Everyone in the group and should be accessible from all the computers to which you are trying to install.
- Extract the contents of the EXE
Note: If you are copying the contents from a CD, you can skip the steps below and copy the contents of the CD directly to the network share.
- Select Start>Run
- Enter %temp%
- Clear all the unused files and folders
- Run the ProfessionalPlus-32.exe
Note: This will extract the required files into the temp directory before installing them. When the extraction is complete, you will see the installation wizard.
- Select Start>Run
- Enter %temp% (You will now find a new folder with the extracted contents of Office 2010).
- Copy all the extracted contents, with the same directory structure, to the network share that you created.
- Exit the installation wizard
- Customize the installation
- Download the Office Customization Tool (OCT) from the following URL and install it: http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=18968
Note: When installing the OCT, you are required to specify the network share, that you created, as the location extract the files. Three folders will be extracted from the OCT. They are ADM, Admin, and ADMX.
- Open a command prompt window
- Change the directory to the network share where you have copied the installable file
- Enter setup.exe /admin
Note: This opens the OCT from where you can specify the information about the license, information about the company, and change outlook profiles.
- Enter the required product key under Licensing and user interface.
Note: If you select the MAK(Multiple Activation Key) option, you are required to enter a 25-character key. However, if you select the KMS key option, you are not required to enter a key.
- Select the Display Level as None and select the Suppress Modal check box Completion notice should be unchecked as it will be checked by default.
- Specify whether to remove the installations of older versions
Note: The default setting is to remove all the older version. If you want to retain some of the office components select the Remove the following earlier versions of Microsoft Office programs option and choose the components that you want to retain.
- Make the following settings if you do not want computers to reboot after installation:
- In the OCT, under Setup, click Modify Setup Properties
- Click Add
- In the Name field, enter SETUP_REBOOT
- In the Valuesection, type Never
Your computers will not be rebooted after installation.
- Change the default language settings, if required, after installation. This is an optional step. To change the default language settings using OCTs, follow the steps given below:
- On the Modify User Settings page, expand the tree to Microsoft Office 2010 system\Language Settings
- Open the folder that you want in the navigation pane
- Double-click the required setting in the right pane
- Select Enable and specify a value
- Save the customized file with a suitable name, after making the required customization changes. (for example, the name could be custom.msp)
Note: This MSP file should also be saved in the same network share.
To unistall Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010,follow the steps given below:
1. Open the SilentUninstallConfig.xml file from the location where the downloaded setup has been saved
2. Edit the file as below -
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
3. Specify the Uninstallation Command with Switches/Arguments as given below -
\\server\share\Office 14\setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus /config \\server\share\Office 14\ProPlus.WW\SilentUninstallConfig.xml
Adding the Software Package in Desktop Central
- Click the Software Deployment tab
- Click Add Package
- Select the MSIEXEC/EXE/ISS/Command package type
- Specify a name for the application
- Specify the Installation Command with Switches/Arguments as <share_name>\setup.exe /adminfile "<share_name>\<msp file name>". For example, \\DC-machine1\software\Office 2010sv\setup.exe /adminfile "\\DC-machine1\software\Office 2010sv\custom.msp"
- Click Add Package
Deploy to target computers
- Select the package that you added
- Click Install/Uninstall Software
- Enter a name and description for the configuration
- Define the package settings
- Configure the deployment settings
- Choose the target computers
- Specify the schedule options, if required
- Click Deploy
You have deployed Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.