Configuring Agent Settings
Desktop Central installs a light-weight non-intrusive agent on the computers that have to be managed using Desktop Central. You have an option to configure the settings for these agents.
Agent General Settings
- Navigate to Admin -> SoM Settings -> Agent Settings.
- The General Settings tab is selected by default. You can specify the following from here:
- Server IP Address - The IP Address of the computer where Desktop Central server is installed is displayed here. The agents residing in the client computers communicate to the Desktop Central server using this IP Address. Desktop Central automatically detects the server IP Address whenever Desktop Central Server is started. If you wish to automatically detect and save the IP Address, select theAutomatically detect and save the IP Address change option. You can also enter the DNS name of the Server.
- Enable Secured Communication - Select this option, if the communication between the Agent and the Desktop Central Server should be secured (HTTPS)
- Enable Checksum Validation - Select this option, to verify if the patch/software binaries that are downloaded from Desktop Central server are verified for integrity using "Checksum Validataion (md5 algorithm)". If the checksum fails, then the installation will be aborted.
- Restrict Users from Uninstalling Agents from Control Panel - Selecting this option will ensure that users do not uninstall the Desktop Central Agents from their computer.
- Restricting Users from Stopping Desktop Central Agent service - Choosing this option will restrict the users from manually stopping the Desktop Central agent service. However, administrator can stop the Desktop Central agent service by following the steps mentioned below:
- Click Tools on Desktop Central server
- Choose System Manager
- Select the computer, on which you wanted to stop the service and click Manage
- Select the service "ManageEngine Desktop Central - Agent", under Services tab
- Under Actions, click stop to stop the service.
- Perform Patch Scanning - Select this option if Patch Scanning has to be initiated immediately after the agent installation. If this option is not selected, Patch Scanning will only happen when it is scheduled or when On Demand scanning is initiated.
- Perform Inventory Scanning - Select this option if Inventory Scanning has to be initiated immediately after the agent installation. If this option is not selected, Inventory Scanning will only happen when it is scheduled or when On Demand scanning is initiated.
- Enable Firewall Settings - Desktop Central requires the Windows Firewall running in the client computers to be configured for using all its features. Select this option to configure the firewall for enabling Remote Administration, DCOM, File and Printer Sharing, and Simple File Sharing in Windows XP.
- Enable Wake On LAN Settings Select this option to enable wake on LAN feature in client computers to turn the computer on before deploying important configurations.
- Click Save Changes.
Agent Tray Icon Settings
Desktop Central provides an option to display the Agent Icon in the System Tray of all the managed computers. The users can perform the following actions using the system tray:
- Initiate Patch Scanning
- Initiate Inventory Scanning
- Pull and apply configurations that are available to them
- Self-Service Portal
- Launch ServiceDesk Plus
- Send requests to Help Desk for specific needs.
- When User Logon Reports is enabled, the user will be able to view his/her login history.
Follow the steps below to configure the Tray icon settings:
- Click the Admin tab to invoke the Admin page.
- Click the Agent Settings link available under SoM Settings.
- Select the Agent Tray Icon tab and specify whether to display the icon in the system tray of the managed computers. When choosing this option, you can choose the following:
- Show Patch, Inventory, and Configuration Menu
- Show Last Logon Details
- Show Information Balloons While Processing Configurations, Patch Scanning and Inventory Scanning
- Click Save Changes