Unable to mount WIM file - ADK version 10
You can see the error message "Unable to mount WIM file in the WinPE path" on the screen when you do the following:
- While creating USB, ISO or PXE media using WinPE tool version 10
- Digital Signature Error in drivers - Microsoft known issue with Windows ADK version 10. Refer this article for more details
- Windows firewall or Antivirus might block the WinPE (DISM) process.
To identify if the error is due to the digital signature of drivers, follow the steps given below in the machine where Desktop Central server is installed,
- Please go to location where ADK tool is installed. ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10")
- Navigate to the path "INSTALL_LOCATION\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM"
For Example : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM"
- Right Click on the file "wimmount.sys" and click Properties
- Go to Digital Signatures tab and check on the signatures.
- If there are two signatures "sha1" and "sha256" you can resolve this issue by following the steps given below.
- Download the zip file here.
- Extract the downloaded zip file.
- Copy the two files "wimmount.sys" and "wofadk.sys" from
"Windows build 15063 ADK Driver Update\amd64" to "INSTALL_LOCATION\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM"
"Windows build 15063 ADK Driver Update\arm64" to "INSTALL_LOCATION\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\arm64\DISM"
"Windows build 15063 ADK Driver Update\x86" to "INSTALL_LOCATION\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\x86\DISM"
- Now retry WinPE creation. If it still fails please restart your server machine and try again.
- If there is only one signature, check if Windows firewall and anivirus has blocked the WinPE DISM process. Disable the firewall/antivirus blockage and proceed with WinPE media creation.
Please contact support if the issue still persists.
Keywords: WinPE mount failed, digital signature error