Frequently Asked Questions - EventLog Analyzer Distributed Edition
For the latest list of Frequently Asked Questions on EventLog Analyzer, visit
the FAQ on the
website or the public
- Who should go for EventLog Analyzer - distributed setup (Distributed Edition)?
We recommend distributed setup (Distributed Edition):
- If your's is a large enterprise, which have hundreds of security devices (like Windows hosts, Linux hosts, servers), Switches and Routers to manage across different geographical locations.
- If you are a Managed Security Service Provide (MSSP), having a large customer base spread across geographical locations.
- How many Managed Servers can a single Admin Server manage?
One Admin Server is designed to manage 50 Managed Servers. However, we have carried out simulated testing in our laboratory, which effortlessly managed 20 Managed Servers.
- During installation of Admin Server, I am prompted for Proxy Server details? When should I configure it?
You need to configure the proxy server details during Admin Server installation, if the Admin Server needs to pass through Proxy Server to contact Managed Servers.
- Can I convert the existing "Standalone" EventLog Analyzer installation to a "Distributed Setup"?
Yes, you can. Ensure that the existing installation of EventLog Analyzer build is 6000. To convert, you need download the EventLog Analyzer 6.0 exe/bin and install as Admin Server and then you need to convert the existing installation of EventLog Analyzer 6.0 to Managed Server. Refer the procedure in the below help link:
Procedure to convert existing Standalone Edition EventLog Analyzer installation to Distributed Edition Managed Server
- I have deleted the Managed Server from Admin Server. How do I re-add?
Once you have deleted the Managed Server, to re-add follow the procedure given below:
- Reinitialize the Managed Server.
- Re-register the Managed Server with Admin Server by executing the <EventLog Analyzer Home>\troubleshooting\registerWithAdminServer.bat/sh file.
- Restart the Managed Server.
- Where the collected logs are stored, whether in Managed Server database or in both Managed Server and Admin Server databases?
All the logs collected by the Managed Server are stored in the Managed Server database only. For archiving, there is a provision to forward the logs to the Admin Server, but not for storing in the Admin Server database.
Secured Communication Mode (HTTPS)
- What is the mode of communication between Admin Server and Managed Server?
By default, the mode of communication is through HTTP. There is also an option to convert it to secured mode of communication HTTPS. Refer the procedure in the below help link, to setup secure communication mode between Admin and Managed Server.
- I have changed the Managed Server communication mode to HTTPS, after installation. How to update this info in Admin server?
Click on Settings tab > Managed Server Settings link in Admin Server UI and click on the Edit icon of specific Managed and select the appropriate protocol and configure the web server port details.
- What are the "Licensing Terms" for EventLog Analyzer Distributed Edition?
EventLog Analyzer Distributed Edition license will be applied in Admin Server. The number of hosts/applications for which the license is purchased, is utilized among the registered Managed Servers. You can keep adding the hosts/applications in various Managed Servers till the total number of licenses purchased get exhausted. View the number of hosts/applications managed by each Managed Server in the Managed Server Settings page.
If the number of hosts/applications being collectively managed by all the registered Managed Servers, exceed the number of License purchased, a warning message appears in the Admin Server. In that scenario, you have various options.
- Purchase license to manage the additional hosts/applications.
- Otherwise, check the number of hosts/applications being managed by each Managed Server in the Managed Server Settings page in the Admin Server.
- Go to the individual Managed Server and manually manage the licenses. Manually remove the lesser required hosts/applications and make the managed hosts/applications count equal to the number of licenses.
- You can also remove a registered Managed Server in the Admin Server to make the managed hosts/applications count equal to the number of licenses.
- In Managed Server there no is option to apply the license? How the license get applied in the Managed Server?
Yes, there is no option to apply the license in Managed Server. The license applied in Admin Server will be automatically propagated to all Managed Servers.
- "License Restricted" alert is showing in Admin Server, even though I have unmanaged additional devices in Managed Server. Why?
The managed/unmanaged status of devices in Managed Server are synchronized with Admin Server during the data collection cycle, which happens at an interval of 5 minutes.
Copyright © 2012, ZOHO Corp
. All Rights Reserved.