What is file integrity monitoring?
Organizations of all sizes are susceptible to security threats on a daily basis. Gaining access to a business' sensitive data, such as confidential customer information, financial information, or system credentials, is the most important target for cybercriminals. Compromised files and folders not only cost organizations financially but also affect their reputations. The first step in creating a secure environment is to detect changes in the environment in real time.
File integrity monitoring (FIM) protects your organization's data from unauthorized and unwanted modification, security threats, and breaches. It tracks any changes made to files and folders in real time to quickly detect security incidents and notify security admins who can quickly respond to them.
This is where the solution determines security baselines for each user based on their typical behavior. Any unusual activity that poses a security risk will be detected, and a real-time alert will be sent to the admin. This helps you respond quickly to security threats.
How does FIM work?
- Configuring policies: While setting up FIM, it is important to define the network components that need to be monitored, such as files, folders, and directory servers. This can be done for resources that contain sensitive information and are more vulnerable to mishandling.
- Establishing a baseline for behavior: A baseline is established by determining the regular usage patterns of users. FIM then works by analyzing the events happening in real time by referencing this baseline of activity.
- Monitoring: Once the relevant policies have been configured and a baseline established, the FIM module starts monitoring the files and folders according to the policies. This helps detect any anomalous behavior as well as deviations from the baseline.
- Alerting: Any deviation from the established baseline results in an alert being generated and sent to the relevant authority, who can then scrutinize the issue and take necessary steps to resolve it.
- Reporting: While proving adherence to compliance laws such as PCI DSS and HIPAA, FIM reports need to be generated to consolidate all relevant information for auditing purposes.
How EventLog Analyzer's FIM module reduces the risk of security breaches
ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer, a comprehensive log management solution, offers a FIM module that examines logs to find unauthorized modifications to both sensitive and critical system configuration files and folders. It gives detailed reports on which file was changed, who made the change, and when it was changed. EventLog Analyzer also provides real-time alerts for unauthorized changes to sensitive files and folders. These changes include creation, deletion, and modification of files or folders, as well as rule modifications and access policy revisions.
Compliance regulations such as PCI DSS, SOX, HIPAA, and FISMA impose two important requirements on organizations that deal with sensitive data: protect critical and sensitive data and maintain a secure environment. EventLog Analyzer provides reports that address these requirements so organizations can meet regulatory compliance standards.
EventLog Analyzer's FIM capabilities:
- Total file integrity: Runs a thorough check on files and folders to determine if they are intact by scanning attributes, permissions, ownership, size, etc.
- Real-time event alerts on critical changes: Generates instant alerts for critical changes, such as rule modifications or access policy revisions to files and folders stored in databases.
- Comprehensive file and folder monitoring: Monitors executable files, folders, system configuration files, content files, zipped files, zipped folders, and more.
- Complete audit trail: Offers a complete audit trail of all the changes that happen on files and folders. The audit trail answers the "what, when, where, and how" of all changes in real time.
- Compliance-ready reports: Allows organizations to meet critical compliance requirements mandated by regulatory acts such as PCI DSS, SOX, HIPAA, and FISMA.
- File integrity reporting and scheduling: Generates exhaustive reports with precise integrity details. Reports can be generated in multiple formats, such as PDF or CSV. Flexible report scheduling allows you to receive the reports at regular intervals automatically.
Implement FIM to secure critical files.
Your download is in progress and it will be completed in just a few seconds!
If you face any issues, download manually here
EventLog Analyzer offers log management, file integrity monitoring, and real-time event correlation capabilities in a single console that help meeting SIEM needs, combat security attacks, and prevent data breaches.
Comply with the stringent requirements of regulatory mandates viz., PCI DSS, FISMA, HIPAA, and more with predefined reports & alerts. Customize existing reports or build new reports to meet internal security needs.
Centrally manage log data from sources across the network. Get predefined reports and real-time alerts that help meeting the security, compliance, and operational needs.
Get 1000+ predefined reports for Windows, Unix/Linux, applications, & network devices environment that help to meet security, auditing, & compliance needs. Build custom reports for specific needs at ease.
Detect anomalies, threats, and data breach attempts with real-time email/SMS alerts. This tool comes with meticulously drafted 700+ alert criteria plus a wizard to create custom alert profiles at ease.
With EventLog Analyzer's real-time correlation engine, proactively mitigate security attacks. The solution has 70+ predefined rules on file integrity, user activities, malicious program installation, and more.
Need Features? Tell Us
If you want to see additional features implemented in EventLog Analyzer, we would love to hear. Click here to continue