1. I get "Access Denied" error on using the tools. What should I do?
The Access Denied error is shown for any of the following reasons:
- When you specify an invalid domain name or user name while adding the domain you will get this error. Ensure that you specify a valid domain bios name or FQDN. Similarly you need not include the domain alias name while adding the user name. Refer the below screenshot for better understanding
- When the credentials supplied do not have necessary privileges to access the remote computers.
- When DCOM settings have not been enabled in the remote computer. Follow the steps below to enable DCOM:
- Start --> Run--> dcomcnfg
- Select Component Services --> Computers
- Right Click My Computer and select "Properties".
- In "Default Properties" tab, make following changes,
- Select "Enable Distributed COM on this computer" checkbox
- Select "Enable COM Internet Services on this computer" checkbox
- Change "Default Authentication Level" to "Default"
- Change "Default Impersonation Level" to "Impersonate"
- If the remote computer is in a workgroup (not part of a Windows Domain), the Forced Guest feature should be turned off. Make the following change in all the client computers:
- Start --> Run--> explorer
- Select Tools --> Folder Options
- Select the View tab.
- Unselect the option "Use simple file sharing" and click OK
2. When I use a tool, I get the error as "RPC Server Unavailable". How do I fix this?
Two options to fix RPC Server Unavailable error,
- Reach to the client computer where this error is prompted.
- Open run and execute service.msc command.
- Start windows management instrumentation service.
- Follow the steps given this document to resolve this error.
If Option1 doesn't seem to work try Option2.
Unzip, run and execute this bat file, wmiconfig.bat in the client machine where this error is prompted to resolve it.
3. I cannot take remote control of my Windows 10 computers. How do I fix this ?
This is an existing issue with windows 10. Please follow the below steps to rectify it.
- Right click on My computer and select Properties.
- Select Remote settings and enable 'Allow remote connections to this computer' option and disable other options if enabled. Click Apply.
- Open RegEdit.
- Navigate to this key 'HIKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-TCP'.
- Change 'SecurityLayer' to zero(0).
- Reboot the system
After following the above steps, you will now be able to remotely control windows 10 computers.
4. I get WMI access denied error. How do I fix it?
Follow the steps give below to resolve this error,
Step 1. DCOM permission
- Open Dcomcnfg
- Expand Component Service -> Computers -> My computer
- Go to the properties of My Computer
- Select the COM Security Tab
- Click on "Edit Limits" under Access Permissions, and ensure "Everyone" user group has "Local Access" and "Remote Access" permission.
- Click on the "Edit Limit" for the launch and activation permissions, and ensure "Everyone" user group has "Local Activation" and "Local Launch" permission.
- Highlight "DCOM Config" node, and right click "Windows Management and Instruments", and click Properties.
- <Please add the steps to check Launch and Activation Permissions, Access Permissions, Configuration Permissions based on the default of Windows Server 2008>
Step 2. Permission for the user to the WMI namespace
- Open WMImgmt.msc
- Go to the Properties of WMI Control
- Go to the Security Tab
- Select "Root" and open "Security"
- Ensure "Authenticated Users" has "Execute Methods", "Provider Right" and "Enable Account" right; ensure Administrators has all permission.
Step 3. Verify WMI Impersonation Rights
- Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
- Under Local Computer Policy, expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Windows Settings.
- Expand Security Settings, expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.
- Verify that the SERVICE account is specifically granted Impersonate a client after authentication rights.
After following the above steps you will be able to resolve the error now.
5.Remote command prompt tool doesn't work. How can I fix it?
Follow the steps below to resolve this error,
- Try reaching to the client computer which shows this error.
- Open Run, type and execute "Services.msc" command.
- Stop the "server service" and restart it.
- Reconnect via remote command prompt now and start executing the commands.