Manage Engine OSDeployer bootable media is built on 64 bit Linux Kernel and supports majority of hardware.However there might some hardware especially NIC and storage device models that might not be supported. In event of such scenarios you will get error message Like "No network interface found" or "Image not found" and few other related error messages.
In this scenario, we recommend creating your own WINPE bootable media , downloading the required drivers ( especially Network and Storage drivers) from the vendor website.
The process of creating WINPE media using OSDeployer integrated console is explained in detail below,
The below example process is created for for DELL Latitute E6430 / Windows 8.1 Pro / ISO burnt on CD boot method.
Step A : From OSDeployer Console,
- From OSDeployer 5 Console , Click on Tools >> Create PE Image
- Download the appropriate ADK from the list and once completed, select "Create WINPE Automatically".
In this scenario, since Windows 8.1 is the image , "Windows Assesment and Deployment Kit(ADK) For Windows 8.1 (2.9 B)" is downloaded.
Note : If the ADK file is in ISO format, you will need to mount it/ burn it to CD/DVD and install it for Windows to detect it. A restart after the ADK installation is generally recommended.
- Choose Auto start option and Network settings. Ensure the exact name / IP Address of the Deploy Server details are entered under Server name/IP.
- Choose "ISO Image" >> Next , Choosing ISO image is the recommended method when it comes to WINPE bootable media. However you choose ManageEngine PXE Server as well and upload the bootable media.
- Specify the location you want to store this ISO file,
Step B : Drivers injection,
Download the required drivers and keep them ready before this step.
In this scenario, Network and Storage drivers for DELL Latitute E6430 were downloaded.
You can access the vendors website and download the drivers by entering the Asset Tag of the target hardware.
Also some vendors like DELL can provide you with the single .cab file for WINPE creation which contains all essential drivers for this process.Sample screenshot attached below,
- Click "Add" and navigate to the driver location folder and choose the folder and add. At this point, OSDeployer will automatically read all the .inf file inside the folder add and will show in the UI. Review the list and click "Next".
- Review the Summary and Click on Create
- After clicking on Create, OSDeployer will now create the bootable media by adding each driver (.inf) and as a result you will see multiple command windows automatically launching and closing. Wait till this is completed.
A sample screenshot of such command prompt provided below,
- Once this is completed you will get the following displayed and at this stage the WINPE Media is successfully created,
Step C : Burning/Copying the file to external media.
The ISO image file is recommended to be burnt on a CD/DVD and then used for booting purpose. The file can also be mounted on a USB drive and booted from the USB drive however this method is not officially supported. Burning the ISO file is supported directly from OS if you are using Windows 7 or above OS.
- Insert CD/DVD and navigate to the ISO file location,
- Right click on the ISO file ,
- Start Burning the Image ,
- Verify the disc image has been successfully burned.
Step C : Booting from the WINPE ISO file,
- Go to the target machine, run the CD and verify if the machine reading the CD/DVD.
- Restart the machine and change the boot preference, or go to BIOS and boot from CD/DVD option.
- If a deployment template is available the ManageEngine Agent will pick the template and start deploying the OS at this stage.