So now you have successfully imaged OS, customized it according to your department needs and the last important task is to deploy this image on the target computers. ManageEngine Desktop central offers two methods to deploy OS on the target computer,
Types of machines where images can be deployed:
- Bare metal machines: ManageEngine Desktop Central supports deployment of OS on baremetal computers.
- Re-deployment on existing machine: OS can be redeployed on existing machines with OS. These are generally the machines with corrupted OS, where re-deployment can be performed for troubleshooting purposes.
- HyperV machines: OS can be deployed on virtual machines.
When do you perform OS deployment?
- Your organization/school/college receives a shipment of 100 machines from different manufacturers. Administrator will have to deploy OS to the new machines
- An interview is to be conducted for an organization/college which already has 100 computers. Administrator will have to deploy a common OS with a set of application to all the computers.
- In large business cases, when two organizations merge, there might be a need to deploy similar OS to all the computers to maintain a standard configuration among them.
Before initiating deployment ensure that you meet the following pre-requisites,
- Ensure that the bootable WinPE media is created to boot the machines to perform deployment.
- Ensure that the target computers have access to the image repository with read and write privileges.
- Ensure that the target computers have the minimum disk size as in the machine where image is captured. Run diskmgmt.msc and open disk management to check disk size in the target computer. Ensure that the required space is available to initiate deployment.
Note: On baremetal machines, disk will be differentiated as in the captured image by WinPE media, before initiating deployment.
Deployment via tasks
Deployment via templates