Site migration from on-premises to Office 365
Note: SharePoint on-premises server and Office 365 should be appropriately configured.
To migrate a single site or multiple sites from on-premises to Office 365 SharePoint:
- Click the Migration tab.
- Click on "Add Migration Task."
- To select the source sites to be migrated from on-premises, click
- In the new window that pops up, select the farm.
- Select the desired sites and sub-sites from the list.
- To select the destination Office 365 site to which the sites should be migrated to, click
- In the new window that pops up, select the tenant containing the destination Office 365 site.
- Appropriately fill in the "Task Name" field.
- Select the relevant options to include:
Site collection objects
- Site users*
- Site groups**
- Custom permission levels
* The on-premises SharePoint site user must exist in the Azure Active Directory of the destination Office 365 account. This can be done via Azure AD Connect. For more details refer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/connect/active-directory-aadconnect-get-started-custom
** Similarly, the on-premises users of the source SharePoint group, specifically the group owner must exist in the Azure Active Directory of the destination Office 365 account.
- Only the current version of lists and libraries can be migrated and this migration requires SharePoint Online Management Shell to be installed.
- If objects aren't specified, then only the SharePoint sites will be migrated.
- Click on "Add and Run" to complete the migration. If you wish to only add the task and not run it immediately then click on "Add."