Perform Virtual Machine Action
This action can be used to start/stop/restart virtual machines of VMware ESX, Hyper-V, Citrix Hypervisor, KVM, OVM, or Nutanix servers in the event of an alarm.
To create a virtual machine action, follow the steps given below:
- Select the Virtual Machine Action option from the Actions menu.
- Enter the Display Name of the action.
- Choose the Host Type on which the action has to be performed in the event of an alarm. You can choose either VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix Hypervisor, KVM, OVM or Nutanix.
- Choose the Action Type to be performed in the event of an alarm. You can choose either Start VM, Stop VM or Restart VM options.
- Use the Select Target Virtual Machine option to associate the action to a virtual machine. There are three ways of selecting the target virtual machine(s).
- All VMs in the selected monitor group: This triggers the action for all the virtual machines present in the selected monitor group.
- All VMs in the selected host type: This triggers the action for all the virtual machines present in the selected VMware/Hyper-V/Citrix Hypervisor/KVM/OVM/Nutanix host.
- Specific Virtual Machine: This triggers the action for the selected virtual machine alone.
- Specify the Maximum time for action execution in seconds. This is the time limit within which the action has to be executed or else the action will be cancelled.
- You can use the Notify after action executes option to receive an email notification once the action is successfully executed. You can either select an existing email address or define new email addresses using the New Action option.
- If you want to execute the action during specific time periods, enable the Execute Action based on Business Hours option and select the Business Hour during which the action has to be executed. The action can be configured such that it is executed during or outside the selected Business Hours. Use the drop-down menu to select your time window or click on 'Add New Business Hour' to create a new time window.
- Click the Create Action button to finish creating the Virtual Machine action.
After creating the Virtual Machine action, you can test its execution by clicking the Execute icon [ ] of that action. Learn more about Applications Manager's Virtual Machine monitoring.