Patch Installation Failure - Wait operation timed out
The Wait operation timed out error occurs if the deployment process exceeds the predefined time limit of four hours. This error indicates that the deployment of Windows updates or feature pack updates was unable to complete within the specified time limit.
Some of the possible reasons for this issue could be:
- Multiple Tasks running during installation
- High CPU usage
- Inadequate RAM storage
- Antivirus software
- Stop all the tasks and re-deploy the failed patches
- Multiple tasks might be running at the time of patch installation. Hence the installation might not get enough RAM for processing.
- Re-deploy failed patches at system startup
- Re-deploying patches during the system startup ensures that the installation gets an adequate amount of RAM to process the update.
- Temporarily disable or uninstall antivirus software
- Disabling or uninstalling the antivirus on the systems has resolved this patch installation error. If the patch still continues to fail with an error, then try manually deploying the patch in one of the test machines that has also encountered the Wait operation timed out issue. If the patch installation is successful within the pre-defined time limit of four hours or less, it indicates that the antivirus software might be causing the issue.
If the issue persists even after following the above mentioned resolution, please feel free to contact support.