This section will explain how you can restore entire mailboxes or individual mailbox folders from a backup, and export mailbox backups to PST.
To restore a mailbox from a backup or to export particular items from a backup to PST,
- Navigate to Exchange tab → Restore.
- Select On-Premises in the Exchange Type drop-down.
- Select the Exchange organization which has the mailbox whose data is to be restored or exported.
- Select the backup schedule that backs up the mailbox whose data is to be restored or exported from the Select Backup drop-down box.
- Once you’ve selected the schedule, a list of all the backups that have been taken by the scheduler will be displayed. The result will also contain information like the duration taken to complete the backup process, the number of items backed up when the schedule was executed, and the status (success/failure) of the backup process.
- To initiate a restoration or export, click on the Review and Restore link against the backup that contains the mailbox to be restored or exported.
- In the screen that appears, the left-pane provides a list of all mailboxes backed up.
- To restore or export all mailboxes in the backup, use the Select All link located at the bottom of the left-pane.
- Use the search bar at the top of the left-pane to search for a particular mailbox.
- To restore a mailbox to the selected backup version or to export the backup of a mailbox to a PST, mark the checkbox against the mailbox’s name.
- To restore or export individual items like contacts, notes, individual mailbox folders, etc., click on the Mailbox name to display all folders, and select the items that you wish to restore or export.
Note: Once you've selected a mailbox folder, you can further limit your search to items that match specific criteria by clicking the icon at the top-left corner of the result screen. Depending on the folder that you've selected, you'll be provided with a list of filters.
- You can also use the Advanced Search option to search the entire backup for items that match specific criteria.
- Click the Advanced Search link located at the top-right corner of the screen.
- In the pop-up that appears, select the mailboxes in which you wish to search by clicking the Select Mailboxes field. You’ll be provided with a list of all mailboxes backed up in the scheduler.
- Select the type of item that you want to search for from the list of available options: calendar, contact, journal, mail, note, post, and task.
- Provide the criteria with which you wish to search and select the item that you wish to restore or export.
- Once you have selected the mailboxes or mailbox items, you can perform either of the two actions: restore the mailbox items or export them.
- To restore the selected items, click the Restore button located at the bottom of the page once you've marked all the items that you wish to restore. The Restore Wizard pop-up will appear.
- The first screen shows the mailboxes that you selected for restoration and the number of items that will be restored for each mailbox. Click Next after verifying the selection.
- Select if the contents should be restored to the same location or a different location.
- If you wish to restore the contents to the same location, select Restore to original location.
- If you wish to restore the contents to a different location, select Restore to different location and click Browse. You can restore the contents of the mailbox to an on-premises Exchange mailbox or Exchange Online mailbox. Select the target location from the corresponding drop-down boxes. Click Select Target Folder to provide the folder in which the items are to be restored.
- Provide a name for the restore operation. You can choose to restore just the modified items or missing items by selecting the appropriate option. Click Restore to begin the restoration process.
- Click the Restore History at the bottom left corner of the screen to view the status of the last five restorations. Clicking the View All link in the pop-up will take you to the Restore History screen. For more information on what the restore history section provides, click here.
- To export the selected mailboxes or mailbox items, click the Export button located at the bottom of the page.
- In the pop-up that appears, provide a name for the export job.
- Provide the path where the PST should be stored in the Export path field.
- If you wish to add an additional layer of security for your PST, select Secure PST with a password and provide a password.
- Click Export to begin the process.
- To view a history of all export operations carried out, navigate to the Export to PST section from the left-pane. Select On-premises as the Exchange Type and select the Exchange organization for which you’d like to see the export history and you’ll be presented with the list of all exports carried out for that Exchange organization.