This section will explain how you can restore entire mailboxes or individual mailbox folders from a backup, and export mailbox backups to PST.
To restore a mailbox from a backup or to export particular items from a backup to PST,
- Log into RecoveryManager Plus as an administrator.
- Navigate to Exchange tab → Restore.
- Select On-premises in the Exchange Type drop-down.
- Select the Organization which has the mailbox whose data is to be restored or exported.
- In the Select Backup drop-down box, select the schedule which contains the mailbox to be restored.
- Once you’ve selected the schedule, a list of all mailboxes that are backed up in the selected schedule will be displayed. The result will also contain information like the email address, number of items backed up, total size of the backup, and number of items backed up during the last backup cycle and the size of those items. Click the icon to see complete information about every backup operation carried out for the particular mailbox.
- Select the mailboxes that you want to restore or export to PST and click the Review and Restore button. You can also use the icon to shortlist the mailboxes using the name or the email address of the user.
- In the screen that appears, the left-pane provides the list of all mailboxes you have selected.
- Use the Select All link to restore or export all the mailboxes you have selected.
- To restore or export particular mailboxes to the backed up version, mark the checkbox against the mailbox’s name. You can also use the search bar at the top of the left-pane to search for a particular mailbox.
- To restore individual items like contacts, notes, individual mailbox folders, etc., click on the Mailbox name to display all folders, select the items that you wish to restore, and follow the steps listed here to restore/export.
Note: Once you've selected a mailbox folder, you can further limit your search to items that match specific criteria by clicking the icon at the top-left corner of the result screen. Depending on the folder that you've selected, you'll be provided with a list of filters.
- You can also use the Advanced Search option to search the entire backup for items that match specific criteria.
- Click the Advanced Search link located at the top-right corner of the screen.
- In the pop-up that appears, select the mailboxes in which you wish to search by clicking the Select Mailboxes field. You’ll be provided with the list of all mailboxes that you selected in the previous screen.
- Select the type of item that you want to search for from the list of available options: calendar, contact, journal, mail, note, post, and task.
- Provide the criteria to search and select the items that you wish to restore.
- Once you have selected the mailboxes, you can
Restore the mailbox items to the backed up state
- To restore the selected items, click the Restore button located at the bottom of the page. The Restore Wizard pop-up will appear.
- The first screen shows the mailboxes that you selected for restoration and the number of items that will be restored for each mailbox. Click Next after verifying the selection.
- Select if the contents should be restored to the same location or a different location.
- If you wish to restore the contents to the same location, select Restore to original location.
- If you wish to restore the contents to a different location, select Restore to different location and click Browse. You can restore the contents of the mailbox to an on-premises Exchange mailbox or Exchange Online mailbox. Select the target location from the corresponding drop-down boxes. Click Select Target Folder to provide the folder in which the items are to be restored.
- Provide a name for the restore operation. You can choose to restore just the modified items or missing items by selecting the appropriate option. Click Restore to begin the restoration process.
- Click the Restore History at the bottom right corner of the screen to view the status of the last five restorations. Clicking the View All link in the pop-up will take you to the Restore History screen. For more information on what the restore history section provides, click here.
Export the selected mailbox items to PST format.
- To export the selected mailboxes or mailbox items, click the Export button located at the bottom of the page.
- In the pop-up that appears, provide a name for the export job.
- Select the repository in which the exported PST must be stored.
- If you wish to add an additional layer of security for your PST, select Secure PST with a password and provide a password.
- Click Export to begin the process.
- To view a history of all export operations carried out, navigate to the Export to PST section from the left-pane. Select On-premises as the Exchange Type and select the Organization for which you’d like to see the export history.