How to migrate a Application Control Plus server installation from one computer to another without losing any data?
This document will provide you the steps to migrate Application Control Plus server from one computer to another without losing any data.
For more information about the operating systems which support Application Control Plus, read the Supported Operating Systems section.
Note:To migrate Application Control Plus Product from 32-bit to 64-bit architecture Click here.
- If you have configured "Failover server", contact support team for migration assistance.
- You should not download a fresh EXE from the website and install in the new computer; you should only copy the installation directory to the new computer.
- After migration, ensure that all your agents are contacting the Application Control Plus server in the new installation. Until then do not uninstall the server in your old set up.
- The below mentioned steps should be followed sequentially as per the specified order. Do not change the sequence of any operation, failing which might cause issues in the server migration process.
Steps to be Performed on the Existing Installation
- Ensure that automatic update of IP Address of the Server has been enabled:
- Connect to the web console and click Admin --> Agent Settings
- Ensure that you have enabled "Automatically detect and save the IP Address change" option available beside the Server IP Address field and save.
- Configure the New Server Details in "Admin>VMP Server Migration"page
- Specify the details of the new server like Application Control Plus Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN), Flat Name, Server IP Address, Secondary IP Address, Server HTTP Port, Server HTTPS Port, etc. and Save.
- Stop the Application Control Plus
- Copy the Application Control Plus installation directory
- Copy the directory named ApplicationControlPlus_Server
- Paste it in the new computer where you are going to install the Application Control Plus server
Note : This step is mandatory, ensure that you copy the directory and paste it in the new server. If you try to execute the script in step 6 before copying the directory, the new server will not start.
- Open a command prompt as Administrator on your old installation and execute "server-migration.bat enable" available under <Installation_Dir>/bin directory.
(example: C:\Program Files\ApplicationControlPlus_Server\bin>server-migration.bat enable)
Note : Executing this script will disable the Application Control Plus Service and you will not be able to connect to the web console. The "MEDC Server Component - Apache" service will alone run to migrate the agents and distribution servers.
Steps to be Performed on the New Installation
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator and execute the "Migrate-DCServer.bat" from the bin folder (from the copied location)
(example : C:\Program Files\Application Control Plus_Server\bin>Migrate-DCServer.bat )
- Add TCP ports used by Application Control Plus to the Firewall exception list and add the Application Control Plus folder to the anti-virus exception list. (List of ports used by Application Control Plus)
: If MySQL database is configured to run on a different computer
, execute "mysql-privilege.bat <new_server_ip>
" from mysql\ directory from the computer where the database is running.
(example: C:\Program Files\ApplicationControlPlus_Server\mysql>mysql-privilege.bat 192.168.xx.xxx )
- Start the Application Control Plus server
The Application Control Plus agents and the distribution servers, during their next contact, will pick up the details of the new server and start communicating with the new server subsequently. You will need to run the Application Control Plus Servers at both the installations till all the agents start reporting to the new server.
How do I know if the migration process is complete?
To ensure that all the agents are migrated to the new server, Check the "Last contact time" column in SoM page. (If you are not seeing this column, choose to view from the Column Chooser). The last contact time must be after the server migration has been enabled.
When Should I stop the Old Server?
Once all the agents starts reporting to the new server, you can stop and uninstall the Application Control Plus server at the previous installation.
- How do verify if the migration has been done correctly?
To cross check whether the server migration has been done correctly, try accessing the web console at http://oldserver:port from a web browser. If the migration process has been successful, it will automatically be redirected to http://newserver:port.
- What if I have wrongly entered the Server details? How do I change it?
After enabling server migration, if any changes are to be made about the new server details, then follow the steps below :
- In the old server, edit server-migrate.conf file present in <Install_Dir>\ApplicationControlPlus_Server\conf\ folder.
- The file contains the new server details in Key=Value format; make the required changes and save.
- Execute "server-migration.bat enable" from the bin folder