The members of a dynamic group are determined based on a set of rules and updated dynamically. Since the members aren't predefined, admins need not manually add or remove the users as changes happen. This, in turn, can save a lot of time and boost administrative performance.
Here's how to create a dynamic group in Azure AD:
- Log in to the Azure AD portal with an admin account.
- Navigate to Azure Active Directory → Group.
- Click New group on top.
- After choosing the group type, provide a name and description.
- In the Membership type field, choose Dynamic User and provide the rules that will be used to determine the group’s members.
- Click Create.
Your dynamic group is now ready to hit the ground running!
It could, however, get tedious to create multiple groups with only slightly varying conditions, as you may have to enter the same details repeatedly for each group. And that's why M365 Manager Plus offers a simple solution to ease this process.
Create multiple groups in a jiffy with M365 Manager Plus
M365 Manager Plus provides fully customizable templates that you can use to preconfigure all the standard values and settings, such as owners, message size restrictions, and moderation settings, and save them. At the time of creation, all you need to do is update the variables like the group name and you're set.
Additionally, you can also use the CSV files to create groups in bulk.
Here's what you need to do:
- Log in to the M365 Manager Plus admin console.
- Navigate to the Management tab and click Group Management on the left-hand side.
- Select Create Dynamic Distribution Group under the Bulk Group Creation section to create multiple groups using a CSV. If you want to use templates, skip this step.
- Select Dynamic Distribution Group Creation Template under the Group Creation Templates section and follow these steps:
- Click Create New Template.
- Provide the name, conditions, and other details.
- Click Save Template.
Highlights of M365 Manager Plus
- Bulk management: Manage mailboxes, users, groups, and contacts effortlessly in bulk.
- Extensive reports: Gain a thorough understanding of your environment in Exchange Online, Azure Active Directory, OneDrive for Business, and other Microsoft 365 services with detailed reports.
- Intense auditing: Keep tabs on even the most granular user activities in your Microsoft 365 environment.
- Real-time notifications: Receive instant email notifications about critical activities.
- Constant monitoring: Monitor the health and performance of Microsoft 365 features and endpoints around the clock.
- Customizable help desk roles: Create custom roles with any combination of reporting, management, and auditing tasks and assign them to non-administrative users to reduce the workload of Microsoft 365 admins.
To learn more tips and tricks that can simplify your Microsoft 365 tasks, click here.