Adhere to your organization's standard operating workflows for assets by guiding IT technicians through the different states of the predefined asset life cycle.
End-to-end built-in automation
Smarter asset governance
Manage assets consistently and proactively to leverage their optimal life and reduce IT costs.
Know our terminology to easily navigate the asset life cycle in ServiceDesk Plus:
What are states?
State refers to the current condition, or state, of the asset. For instance, "In Use", "Expired", and "Disposed" are a few of these names.
What are transitions?
Transitions denote the movement of the asset from one state to another. They are condition-based actions that can be configured to be performed at any time during the movement (before, during, or after).
Take advantage of the asset life cycle for process standardization, and better overall management of your organization's assets.
- Design and associate specific asset life cycles for any asset type, to match your organization's asset management procedures.
- Configure asset life cycles with transitions. Transitions are condition-based actions that can be invoked before, during, or after an asset moves from one state to another.
- Set up criteria or role-based permissions to restrict technician access to Transitions in the "Before" stage of the life cycle. On setting up these permissions, the transition will be visible only to certain roles, or only
after certain conditions are met.
- Ensure all the relevant data is captured before an asset moves to the next state, by mandating fields for technicians to fill in the "During" stage.
- Execute custom actions, including notification triggers, custom functions, or triggering a webhook for the "After" phase.
- Duplicate asset life cycles to quickly make changes and create a new life cycle for a different product type, without having to start from scratch.
- Leverage the tight integration with the purchase management module, the addition of assets through probe networks, and domain scans, to track new assets.
- Automatically apply asset life cycles to new and unassigned assets, if they fall under the specified product type.
- Choose between a linear or a graphical view of the workflow for better clarity on the life cycle you've built.
Quick steps to start using the asset life cycle:
You'll find the asset life cycle configuration at,
Setup > Automation > Life Cycles > Asset Life Cycles
- 1. Create custom asset states at Setup > Customization > Asset Management > Asset State and use them, or predefined states, to craft your asset life cycle.
- 2. Drag-and-drop states to the canvas to start building your workflow.
- 3. Define transitions between each state.
- 4. Configure custom actions to be triggered before, during, or after a transition.
- 5. Associate the life cycle with a relevant product type.
- 6. Publish the asset life cycle to get started.
Fabricate custom life cycles for assets to enhance IT asset management efficiency
Sign up now!