What is a moderated recipient?
Moderated recipients are those mailboxes (user or group) to which mails are delivered only after the approval of the designated moderators. This controls the messages sent to distribution groups, and top brass users.
Configure a moderated recipient with Microsoft 365
Using the Exchange Admin Center (EAC) or PowerShell scripts to configure a moderated recipient involves two steps. A user or distribution mailbox has to be created, and then the moderation settings have to be configured. This is a long and cumbersome process when the number of mailboxes to be configured is huge.
Configure a moderated recipient with M365 Manager Plus
With M365 Manager Plus, group or user creation and configuring moderation settings is a one step process. Using the CSV import option any number of recipients can be configured at the same time.Technicians just have to upload a CSV file with all the details required for the recipient creation along with the moderation settings values.
Steps to create a moderated recipient
The example shows you how to configure moderation setting for a set of new distribution groups.
- Go to the Management tab.
- Navigate to Azure Active Directory -> Group Management in the left pane.
- Under Bulk Group Creation category click on Create Distribution Groups.
- Choose the Microsoft 365 tenant, and group creation template if you had created one.
- Click on the Download Sample CSV option which downloads the CSV file groupCreation.CSV.
- Open the CSV file. It shows a list of attributes required for the group creation with sample values.
- In the ModeratedBy column, enter the email addresses of the moderators.
- In the ModerationEnabled column provide TRUE.
- In the BypassNestedModerationEnabled column provide TRUE.
- In the SendModerationNotifications column provide TRUE.
In the above example we have explained only the parameters related to moderation settings. Please refer this section
to know about all the parameters and the values they accept.
- Upload the CSV file in the tool.
- Click Import Groups and then Apply.
On completion, new distribution groups with the specified moderation settings will be created.
- Name - Denotes the name of the group to be created.
- ModeratedBy - Accepts the email addresses of the moderators.
- RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled - Specifies whether to accept messages only from authenticated (internal) senders. The valid values are TRUE and FALSE.
- ModerationEnabled - Specifies whether to accept messages only from internal senders. The valid values are TRUE and FALSE.
- DisplayName - A simple user friendly name for the group.
- MemberDepartRestriction - Specifies whether the members can leave the group without approval (Open) or need to send a request to leave. (Closed).
- BypassNestedModerationEnabled - Specifies how to handle message approval when the moderated group contains other moderated groups as members. The valid values are TRUE and FALSE.
- Members - Accepts the email addresses of the users to be added as members.
- MemberJoinRestriction - Specifies the restrictions that you put on requests to join the group. The valid values include,
- Open - Users can join the group without approval from a group owner.