Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business coexistence and interoperability
Be it upgrading to Teams or using it alongside Skype of Business, it is important to understand how these applications co-exist, interoperate and how to manage the user migration from Skype for Business to Teams.
Coexistence of Teams and Skype for Business
There are five deployment methods between Skype and Teams. These are Skype only, Teams only, Skype with Teams collaboration, Skype with Teams Collaboration & meetings, and Islands Mode. Each of these options provide full capabilities of the two products but vary in how each app is used and what it’s used for.
- Skype only mode: In this mode, the users leverage the complete capabilities of Skype for Business only and not of Teams. However, these users can join existing calls and meetings in Teams using the Teams app via a link to join the meeting, but cannot initiate one.
- Teams only mode: In this mode, the users leverage the complete capabilities of Teams and not of Skype for Business. However, these users can join existing calls and meetings in Skype using the app via a link to join the meeting, but cannot initiate one.
- Islands mode: In this mode, organizations can run both the applications alongside and independent of each other with no interoperability. This is the recommended mode to initiate user readiness to upgrade to Teams.
- Skype for Business with Teams collaboration mode: In this mode, organizations use specific capabilities in both the applications. Teams is used only for it's channels, teams, and file sharing while Skype for Business is used for instant messaging, audio/video calling, and meetings.
- Skype with Teams collaboration & meetings mode: This mode is same as Skype for Business with Teams collaboration except that meetings is leveraged in Teams and not in Skype for Business.
To know more about Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business coexistence and interoperability, click here.
Manage Microsoft Teams with M365 Manager Plus.
Once the upgrade to Teams is complete, M365 Manager Plus can help you effectively manage your Teams environment. M365 Manager Plus is a complete Microsoft 365 administrative solution that offers an extensive set of features to effortlessly manage Microsoft Teams from a single, user-friendly console.
Bulk management: Create, update and delete teams, channels, team members, team policies, and more, in bulk by importing a simple CSV file.
Detailed reporting: Gain deep insights into team sizes, user activity, device usage, and more, with pre-configured, comprehensive reports.
Granular auditing: Detect unusual activities or events by auditing team creation, user sign-ins, channel creation, and more.
24x7 monitoring: Ensure around-the-clock monitoring of Microsoft Teams' features and endpoints.
Instant alerting: Get instant alerts for critical events via email. Configure custom alert profiles for Microsoft Teams activities.
Task automation: Automate repetitive management tasks with customized automation policies to save time and enhance productivity.
Help desk delegation: Create custom help desk roles and delegate Teams management, auditing, and more, to non-admin users to reduce admin workload.
To know more about managing your Microsoft 365 environment using M365 Manager Plus, click here.