Apart from adding resources manually, you can also import them. There are a few ways by which you can import your resources into PAM360:
- Importing Resources from Text file
- Importing Resources from CSV file
- Importing Resources from KeePass
- Importing Resources from Active Directory
1. Importing Resources from Text File
You can import resource details from a CSV file using the import wizard. All the lines in the CSV file should be consistent and have the same number of fields. CSV files having extensions .txt and .csv are allowed.
2. Importing Resources from CSV File
- Navigate to Resources tab.
- Click the Add Resource button and select Import from File from the drop down.
- In the dialog box that opens, browse and select the required file. You can choose from two different file formats:
- Normal File: This option can be used to upload a plain text CSV file directly.
- Password Protected ZIP File: This option can be used if you wish to upload a password protected ZIP folder containing the CSV file, for enhanced security. If you choose this file format, you must also provide the password and specify the name of the target CSV file in the 'File Name' field. In case the 'File Name' field is left empty, PAM360 will automatically import information from the first CSV file that it accessed in the unzipped folder.
- In your CSV file, the entries could be present in any order. You can choose which field in the CSV file maps to the corresponding attribute of the PAM360 resource and account. Both the default and the user defined attributes will be listed in the wizard. The user defined attributes should have been defined before the import operation. If a resource contains multiple user accounts, then the resource fields will have to be repeated for each user account in the CSV file.
- If you have resources with attributes that can not be placed in the CSV file (like files for the File Store resource type), you can leave those entries blank in the CSV file and later edit the resource and update the attribute value.
- If the list of resources imported by you contains any of the already existing resources, they will not be added to PAM360 by default. If you want them to be overwritten, you need to select the option Overwrite existing resources.
- Click Finish.
The result of every line imported will be logged as an audit record. For troubleshooting errors during import, refer to the log file in the location\logs\pam3600.txt
Notes: After importing resources, if you want to configure password reset for the target systems, you need to do it by editing the resources.
- Importing resources takes time
When you try to import a large number of resources, it would take a while to import all of them to PAM360 inventory. Once, it is done, you will notice the message "Resources Imported Successfully".
- My resources have additional fields
You can import the additional fields too. But, prior to importing the resources, you need to add those custom fields to PAM360.
- I do not have some of the fields that are listed as mandatory for PAM360 in my CSV file
That is not a problem. Only 'Resource Name' and 'Account Name' fields are mandatory. So, you can import whatever you have.
3. Importing Resources from KeePass
You can also import resource details (IT resources, their accounts, and passwords) directly from KeePass (both 1.x and 2.x) using the import wizard. The import file should be a KeePass database file, either .kdb or .kdbx.
To import resources from KeePass:
- Navigate to Resources tab.
- Click the Add Resource button and select Import from KeePass from the drop down.
- In the pop-up form that opens, browse and select the required KeePass Database file for Import File. Usually, the file will be available at the location chosen by you while saving the file in KeePass after its creation.
- After selecting the file, enter the Master Password you have set for the file.
Note: Currently, you can import resources from KeePass only using Master Passwords, and not Key Files. So, ensure the selected file has a Master Password.
- Overwrite Existing Resources: Check this option if you want the import operation to overwrite resources that already exist in PAM360. If this option is off, resources already existing in PAM360 database will not be imported from KeePass.
- Click Import Now. The result of every line imported will be logged as an audit record.
- During the import operation, resource details such as resource URL, user accounts, passwords, and notes will be automatically mapped and imported from KeePass. For DNS Name/IP Address, the details in the file be imported only if they match with the inbuilt regular expressions. Also, if you have stored the resources within different static groups such as Windows, Linux, etc, in the database file, the groups will also be automatically created in PAM360 while importing the resources.
- Once the resources and groups are imported, the Resource Type of all the resources will, by default, be marked as Unknown in PAM360. You can edit the resources and sort them under desired types. In case of web site accounts alone, the resources will be automatically sorted as Web Site Accounts, if the site URL is provided in the import file.
- After importing the resources, if you want to configure remote password reset for the target systems, navigate to Resources >> Resource Actions >> Configure Password Reset.