Event ID 4777 - The domain controller failed to validate the credentials for an account
|Sub category||Credential Validation|
|Description||The domain controller failed to validate the credentials for an account|
When a DC fails to authenticate an account, event ID 4777 is logged.
This log data gives the following information:
Why event ID 4777 needs to be monitored?
- Prevention of privilege abuse
- Detection of potential malicious activity
- Operational purposes like getting information on user activity like user attendance, peak logon times, etc.
- Compliance mandates
ADAudit Plus account logon real-time pre-configured reports help identify miscreant users attempting logon into machines that requires elevated privileges and provide evidence for any action administered by any user. These reports can be advantageously in overcoming account logon audit challenges.
Event 4777 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10