Event ID 4664 – An Attempt Was Made To Create A Hard Link
|Category||Object Access: File System|
|Description||An attempt was made to create a hard link.|
Event ID 4664 is logged when an NTFS hard link has been created successfully. A hard link is a pointer to a file on the same system.
This log data provides the following information:
- Security ID
- Account Name
- Account Domain
- Logon ID
- File Name
- Transaction ID
Why does event ID 4664 need to be monitored?
Event 4664 is not an activity which occurs typically when an operating system is behaving normally, and hence the occurrence of this event could imply malicious activity.
ADAudit Plus helps audit all Windows File Server and file share events, thus helping you meet your security, operational, and compliance needs with absolute ease.
Event 4664 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows 2008 R2 and 7
- Windows 2012 R2 and 8.1
- Windows 2016 and 10
Explore Active Directory auditing and reporting with ADAudit Plus.
- Related Products
- ADManager Plus Active Directory Management & Reporting
- ADAudit Plus Real-time Active Directory Auditing and UBA
- EventLog Analyzer Real-time Log Analysis & Reporting
- ADSelfService Plus Self-Service Password Management
- AD360 Integrated Identity & Access Management
- Log360 Comprehensive SIEM and UEBA
- AD Free Tools Active Directory FREE Tools