Event ID 5157 – The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a connection.
|Category||Object Access: Filtering Platform Connection|
Windows logs event 5157 whenever the WFP blocks a connection between a program and a process. This other process can be on the same computer or a remote computer.
This event log contains the following information:
- Process ID
- Application Name
- Source Address
- Source Port
- Destination Address
- Destination Port
- Filter Run-Time ID
- Layer Name
- Layer Run-Time
Why does event ID 5157 need to be monitored?
- To ensure specific applications do not perform certain operations
- To monitor restricted applications
- To ensure that the source address is preferably from the same computer
- To monitor whether the destination address is an IP address from the Internet
- To ensure only whitelisted IP addresses are connected to
- To check the protocol that is being used by certain applications
Event 5157 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows 2008 R2 and 7
- Windows 2012 R2 and 8.1
- Windows 2016 and 10