Event ID 5168 – SPN check for SMB/SMB2 failed.
|Category||Object Access: File Share|
If the SMB SPN check fails, event ID 5168 is logged by Windows. This usually occurs when the client uses NTLMv1 or LM protocols, while the group policy on the server side requires the client side to provide it.
This event log contains the following information:
- Security ID
- Account Name
- Account Domain
- Logon ID
- SPN Name
- Error Code
- Server Names
- Configured Names
- IP Addresses
Why does event ID 5168 need to be monitored?
The logging of event 5168 could indicate either a configuration issue or a malicious authentication attempt. Thus, it is better to further investigate when this event is generated.
ADAudit Plus helps audit all Windows File Server and file share events, thus helping you meet your security, operational, and compliance needs with absolute ease.
Event 5168 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows 2008 R2 and 7
- Windows 2012 R2 and 8.1
- Windows 2016 and 10
Explore Active Directory auditing and reporting with ADAudit Plus.
- Related Products
- ADManager Plus Active Directory Management & Reporting
- ADAudit Plus Real-time Active Directory Auditing and UBA
- EventLog Analyzer Real-time Log Analysis & Reporting
- ADSelfService Plus Self-Service Password Management
- AD360 Integrated Identity & Access Management
- Log360 Comprehensive SIEM and UEBA
- AD Free Tools Active Directory FREE Tools