Creating Active Directory Organizational Units in bulk
ADManager Plus's Create Bulk OUs feature makes it incredibly easy to create multiple new OUs at one go. The interesting part though is that, you also have an option to import the data from a CSV file, to specify the values for the new OUs that you wish to create. You can do all these without having to depend on scripts.
Creating new OUs via ADManager Plus also offers these two advantages:
- OU creation templates: Besides allowing you to configure all the desired fields in one action, these templates also help in ensuring uniformity in the OU creation process throughout the organization.
- You can create a parent OU for the new OUs that you are creating, right while creating those OUs.
Steps to create OUs in bulk:
- Click the AD Mgmt tab
- Go to OU Management and click the Create Bulk OUs link under OU Creation
- In the Create Bulk OUs page, select the domain in which you wish to create the new OU; select the desired OU creation template by clicking the change link located beside Selected Template.
Note: If you do not select any specific template, the default template specified by the administrator will be applied.
- In the Create Bulk OUs page, click the Add OUs button and enter the appropriate values for all the fields under the General tab and click the OK button. If you wish to make any changes to the values entered, click the modify icon located in the Action column, change the values for the desired fields, and click OK.
Note: The fields displayed in red are mandatory ones.
- Click the Add OUs button to enter the values for next OU that you wish to create and click OK. Repeat this until you have entered the appropriate values for all the OUs that you wish to create.
- Instead of keying in the values for the OUs one after the other, you can also:
- Provide the relevant values for all the OUs that you wish to create via CSV file. To fetch the CSV file, click the Import button, locate the desired CSV file and click OK. Sample CSV file.
Note: The CSV file must contain the LDAP names of the attributes as the header.
- Copy all the values of any OU from the ones displayed, and change specific attribute. To copy the values of an OU, click the Copy icon located in its Action column.
- After entering the values for all the OUs that you wish to create, click the Next button
- In the tree view of the entire domain, select the desired location (container) in which the new OUs have to be created.
- Instead of selecting an existing OU, you can also create a new OU and select this new OU as the parent OU for the ones that you are about to create. To create a parent OU for the new OUs,
- In the domain tree, select the location in which you wish to create the parent OU.
- Click the create new OU link located beside the selected container field.
- Enter an appropriate name for the OU in the New OU window.
- Click the create button. The OU, that you wish to use as the target location for the new OUs that you are creating, will now be visible in the domain tree in the specified location.
- After selecting the location for the new OUs, click the Create OUs button to complete the creation of new OUs.