Creating Active Directory Organizational Units via CSV import
ADManager Plus allows you to create multiple organizational units (OUs) at one go without having to depend on scripts. Create a CSV file with appropriate values for all the fields/attributes of the OUs that you wish to create, and import it into ADManager Plus to create the new OUs. The CSV file must contain the LDAP names of the attributes as the header.
This feature also offers the following advantages:
- It has the built-in ability to create a parent OU for the new OUs that you wish to create, right while creating them. That is, using this feature you can create an OU in any desired location in the domain, and then place the new OUs that you are creating, inside it, as its child OUs.
- You can configure all the desired attributes in a single action using the customizable OU creation templates. These templates also allow you to fine tune the OU creation process to your meet your specific needs.
Steps to create OUs using a CSV file:
- Click the AD Mgmt tab
- Go to OU Management and click the Create Bulk OUs link under CSV import.
- In the Create Bulk OUs page, select the domain in which you wish to create the new OUs; select the desired OU creation template by clicking the change link located beside Selected Template.
Note: If you do not select any template, the default template specified by the administrator will be applied.
- In the Create Bulk OUs page, click the Import button, select the CSV file which contains the appropriate values for the attributes of the OUs that you wish to create and click OK.
Note:The CSV file must contain the LDAP names of the attributes as its header. ADManager Plus will consider the first line of the CSV file as the header and if you do not provide the LDAP names, the OU creation process will not be successful.
- You will now be able to see data that has been imported from the CSV file. Click the Next button.
- - If you wish to modify the values for any OU, click the modify icon located in the Action column of the OU whose values you wish to modify, make the desired changes and click OK.
- - Click the Copy icon located in the Action column of any OU if you wish to add another OU to the list by just copying the setting/values of an OU in the list.
- In the tree view of the entire domain, select the desired location (container) in which the new OUs have to be created.
- Instead of selecting an existing OU, you can also create a new OU and select this new OU as the parent OU for the OUs that you are about to create. To create a parent OU for the new OUs,
- In the domain tree, select the location in which you wish to create the parent OU.
- Click the create new OU link located beside the selected container field.
- Enter an appropriate name for the OU in the New OU window.
- Click the create button. The OU, that you wish to use as the target location for the new OUs that you are creating, will now be visible in the domain tree in the specified location.
- After picking a location for the new OUs, click the Create OUs button to complete the creation of new OUs.