Create Contact Modification Template
Contact Modification templates empower administrators in modifying the contact objects. These templates consist of two major components: 'Layout View' and 'Modification Rules'.
- Layout View: This component helps the administrators in selecting the fields that should be displayed in the template, while modifying contacts.
- Modification Rules: These rules help in specifying values to fields based on a set of rules or without any rules, as required.
With these templates, you can modify or update the fields of contact objects in the following ways:
- Modify the list of fields to be displayed by adding new fields or removing existing fields, using the 'Layout View'.
For example, you can remove the 'pager' field from the 'Address' tab of the contact, if you do not want to display this field to the HDTs.
- Modify the existing values of fields or specify values for the fields that do not have any value. Further, with 'modification rules', values can be specified conditionally or unconditionally.
For example, you can modify the group (memberOf) attribute for a contact whose department is 'Sales'.
In the 'contact modification template' creation page, enter a name and description for the template; Choose the domain in which this template will be used. Select the fields to be displayed using the 'Layout View'. Using the 'modification rules', specify the fields for which values have be modified or updated and also the conditions for modifying the fields. Save the template.
Click on 'AD Mgmt' tab --> 'Contact Management'
Click on 'Contact Modification Templates' in the 'Contact Templates' section. You will now be in the 'Contact Modification Templates' page which will list all the existing contact modification templates.
Click on the 'Create New Template' link to go to the new 'Contact Modification Template' creation page.
In the 'Contact Modification Template' page, enter a name and description for the template in the 'Template Name' and 'Description' column.
Select the fields to be displayed, using the 'Layout View'. You can use the 'Layout View' section in two ways:
Specify the fields to assign or modify the values, with or without conditions; define the conditions for modifying the fields using 'Modification Rules'.
Click on 'Save Template' to save this new template.
Contact Modification Rules:
'Modification Rules' allow condition based modification or specification of values for the fields of contact objects while modifying or updating them. You can also modify the fields without using any conditions. For example, for an active directory contact, if the 'Department is Finance', then, you can set the desired values for other attributes like, 'memberOf', 'Manager', etc.
Creating contact 'modification rules':
In the 'Contact Modification Template' creation page, enter a name, description for the new template.
Select the appropriate domain.
Click on 'Modification Rules' to either add a new modification rule or view, modify or delete an existing modification rule.
In the 'modification rules' section, click on 'Create New Rule' to proceed to rule creation.
Specify a suitable name for the rule by clicking on the edit icon (The edit icon appears in the top left corner of the title bar of the rule section, when the mouse is placed or hovered over it).
Set or Assign values to a field or a set of fields. Modification rules allow you to assign values to fields in two ways:
- Unconditional value assignment : Assign values to fields without conditions:
- In the 'Assign Values' section, select the required field from the list of fields in the 'set' option and assign a value.
- Click on 'Add' to confirm the value.
- After you have specified the values for all the required fields, save this template using the 'Save Template' option.
- Condition based value assignment:
- Click on 'Add Conditions' to add a new condition.
- Select the field which has to be checked in 'Select Field', specify the matching condition and the value to be checked.
- To add another field to the condition, click on the '+' icon.
- 'Conditions Sequence' shows the order in which the conditions will be evaluated.
- After completing the conditions, specify the fields that have to be updated or modified and their corresponding values, in the 'Assign Values' section, using the steps specified in 'Unconditional value assignment' section above.
- After you have specified values for all the fields, save this template using the 'Save Template' option.
This component helps you in selecting the fields that have to be shown to the HDTs while modifying contacts.
Using 'Layout View' with 'Drag-n-Drop' option
- Click on 'Enable Drag-n-Drop' to be able to drag and drop the fields from the 'Field Tray' to the required tabs.
- You cannot drag-n-drop the fields which are greyed out � all the fields that are being used will appear greyed out. By default, all the fields in the field tray will be greyed out as all the fields are used in the tabs.
- Drag-n-drop is allowed only for dragging a field from the field tray to a tab. To move a field from a tab to the field tray, delete the field from the tab.
- Each field can be used only once and in one tab only. The fields belonging to the Exchange tab cannot be used in any regular tab and vice versa.
- You can either add a new tab, in addition to the default tabs, using the 'Add Tab' option, delete any tab by using the delete option or make a tab 'silently active'. You can change the name of any tab using the 'edit' option, as per your requirement.
- The default tabs available in the create template page are: General Tab, Address Tab, Group Tab, Organization Tab, Exchange Tab, Custom Attributes Tab.
- For each tab, drag and drop the required attributes from the field groups in the 'field tray' to the required field group in the tab.
- You cannot move a field from one tab to another directly � the required field has to be deleted from the tab where it is being used, which will move the field back to the field tray and then move the field from the field group to the required tab.
- If required, any field can be set as a 'read only' field. This option is useful in cases where a user should not be able to enter/change a value but will have to know the value that is being assigned.
- Once you have made all the required changes or customizations, save the template using 'save template' option.
Using 'Layout View' without the 'Drag-n-Drop' option
- In the 'Create Modification Template' page, click on 'Layout View'
- Click on General Tab and enter the values for the attributes.
- Similarly, click on each of the tabs � Address Tab, Group Tab, Organization Tab, Exchange Tab and Custom Attributes Tab � and fill in the values for the attributes.
- Once all the values have been specified for the Contact attributes, click 'Save Template' to save this template.