Windows Service Templates
A Windows service template is a pre-defined reusable collection of Windows services. It provides an easy way to add multiple services for monitoring across a group of Windows servers. For example, if you want to monitor the 'EventLog' service in all your Windows XP servers, you can configure a Windows service template for this service and apply the template across all your XP servers at once. This is better than manually adding the 'EventLog' service in your Windows XP servers one by one.
Steps to add a new Windows Service Template
- Under Settings tab, go to Discovery & Data Collection → Template Library → Service Templates and click on Add New.
- Specify Template Name and Description.
- Click Add Service link to add services for monitoring. You can either Manually Enter the Service Details or Choose Service Details from Available Servers.
- If you opt for the first option, specify the Service Display Name and Service Name.
- If you opt for the second option, select the appropriate monitor type and the monitor(s), and click the Show Service link. All the services running in the servers will be listed. Select the necessary service from the list and click OK.
- If you want to receive notifications when the threshold values of the service attributes are violated, you have to Configure Alarms for Attributes. The attributes of the service will be listed on the left-hand side. Click the Associate link corresponding to the attribute to open the Configure Alarms screen.
- Select the necessary threshold from the Associate Threshold list box.
- You can also Associate Actions for the thresholds if necessary. Choose the necessary action from the Available Actions list and add them to the Associated Actions list. By default, you can associate action for critical severity. If you want to associate actions for warning and clear severities, click the Show Advanced Options checkbox, and select the appropriate actions from the list.
- Click Add to Template button once you have configured the thresholds and actions.
- You can apply your service and threshold configuration under the Associate Configuration to Monitors section. You can either apply the configuration to monitor types or choose from a list of monitors or apply to specific monitor groups.
- To apply the configuration to specific monitor types, choose the Apply to Monitor Types option. The server types available in your Applications Manager installation will be listed below. Choose the required server type to apply the template to all servers of that type.
- To apply the template to individual monitors, choose the Apply to Monitors option and choose the necessary monitor(s) from the list.
- To apply the template to monitor groups, choose the Apply to Monitor Groups option and select from the monitor groups listed.
- Click Save Template to complete your Windows service template configuration.
Adding a Windows Service Template from the Admin Server (Enterprise Edition)
You can create a new Windows Service Template, associate services and configure alarms for attributes from the Admin Server using the same steps as in the Managed Server. However, templates configured in the Admin Server can be applied to different monitor types and monitor groups, not to individual monitors.