Monitoring Cisco MDS 9000 series switches
OpStor provides monitoring and management of Cisco MDS switches
- Cisco MDS 9000 Series Switches
- Cisco SN 5428-K9 Storage Router
- Fabric Switch
- Fabric switch ports
- Bandwidth Utilization
- Port Frame Error Rate
- Port In Drop Rate
- Port Out Drop Rate
- Rx Utilization
- Rx Throughput
- Tx Utilization
- Rx Throughput
- Total Throughput
- Fabric Switch Status
- Switch Port status
- Switch Summary
- Switch Zoning
- Switch Port statistics
- VSAN information
- Interconnect details
- Real Time graphs
Prerequisites for monitoring Cisco MDS Switches
- OpStor by default uses 'public' snmp community for discovery. This community should have read access right.
- In case your read community is different , please provide the same while adding switch in OpStor.
- You can check the community names (and their access rights) configured in your MDS switch by issuing the command "show snmp community" via telnet to switch.
- To set the access rights for a community in your cisco switch , you need to do the following ,
- Go to config mode , by typing the command config t
- Set the snmp community by typing the command snmp-server community <community> <rw | ro>
- For example, to set read-only access right to "public" community you can type ,
- snmp-server community public ros
- Register OpStor server IP address as a trap destination for the Cisco Switch.
- Check if the server running OpStor is registered as a trap destination in the switch by issuing the command
"show snmp host" via telnet to switch.
- This should have an entry with OpStor server IP and port 162
- If entry is not available, use snmp-server host <host_address> traps command to specify Trap Recipient.
Note : For more details check Cisco MDS 9000 Family Command Reference Guide.
Steps to add Cisco Fabric Switch in OpStor
- Navigate to Admin Tab --> Manage Storage Devices link in OpStor client
- Provide IP Address of Cisco MDS Switch
- Choose Device Type as 'FCSwitch'
- Choose Vendor as 'Cisco'
- Provide SNMP Port and Community string (default is 161 and public)
- If needed change the Timeout value (default is 5 seconds)
- Click on Add Device.
Note : If the Ping option is disabled for the device, then please uncheck 'Ping the given IP' field.
Note : In case of non discovery of the device, please follow the troubleshooting tips displayed in the webclient and try re-adding the device.