Installing SNMP on Linux Systems
The installation of new version of SNMP is required only for versions prior to 8.
Download the latest rpm version of SNMP using the following URL:
Download the zip version of SNMP using the following URL:
To install using the rpm, follow the steps given below:
- Login as "root" user.
- Before installing the new version of net-snmp, you need to remove the earlier versions of net-snmp in your machine. To list the versions of net-snmp installed in your machine, execute the following command:
rpm -qa | grep "net-snmp"
- If there are already installed version in your machine, remove them using the command:
rpm -e <version of net-snmp listed as the output for previous command> --nodeps
- If there are no previously installed versions in your machine, then execute the following command to install the new version:
rpm -i <new downloaded version of SNMP agent> --nodeps
To install using the zip, follow the steps given below:
Extract the file using following command:
tar -zxvf ucd-snmp-4.2.6.tar.gz
To install SNMP, follow the steps given below:
- Login as root user.
- Execute the command to set the path of the C compiler:
export PATH=<gcc path>:$PATH
- Execute the following four commands from the directory where you have extracted the ucd-snmp:
- ./configure --prefix=<directory_name> --with-mib-modules="host"
directory_name is the directory to install SNMP agent. Preferably choose a directory under /root. The directories /usr and /local might contain the files of an older version of SNMP and so do not choose these directories to ensure proper installation.
- umask 022
- make install
This completes the installation process. For configuring SNMP agents to respond to SNMP requests, refer to Configuring SNMP agents.