Classification and Device Templates
During initial discovery, OpManager categorizes the network devices into
servers, printers, switches, routers and firewalls. For proper
classification, install and start
the SNMP agent on all the managed devices.
OpManager comes with over 600 device templates which carry the initial
configurations to classify the devices into the pre-defined categories,
and to associate monitors to them. The device templates enables you to
effect a configuration once and is applied to several devices at a time
whenever there is a change.
The templates carry the information required to classify the devices and
to associate relevant monitors. You can define your own templates and
modify the existing ones.
Creating/Modifying Device Templates
- Go to Admin --> Device Templates
- Click ‘New Template’ to define a template for a new device type.
Click the Template name to modify an existing one.
- Configure/Modify the following properties:
- Device Template: Specify the device type.
- Vendor Name: Select the vendor. Click Add New to add a new vendor, and Save.
- Category: Select the category for the device type. On discovery, the devices are automatically placed in the select Category map.
- Monitoring Interval: Configure the interval at which the device needs monitoring.
- Device Image: Select the image for this device type.
- System OID: Type the sysOID and click Add. Click Query Device for OpManager to query the device for the OID. You can also add custom OID in addition to the sysOID by clicking the edit icon. This will be helpful if you want to monitor customized Linux systems.
- Add Monitor: Click this option to select the monitors.
- Edit Thresholds: Click this option to edit
- Click Create button to create the new device template.
The classified devices are placed under different maps for easy management. For proper device classification, make sure you have installed and started SNMP in all the network devices before starting OpManager service.
The default maps include:
- Load Balancer
- WAN Accelerator
- Virtual Device
- WAN RTT Monitors
- VoIP Monitors
You can also add your own infrastructure views. Custom infrastructure views can be added to group devices which cannot be classified under the default views provided. For instance, if you would like to monitor some IP Phones, it will not be appropriate to classify them as servers or desktops.
This initial classification may not be accurate if
- the network devices do not support SNMP.
- some devices have their SNMP settings different from those specified in the Credential Settings.
Copyright © 2012, ZOHO Corp
. All Rights Reserved.