In this mode, data will not be imported and stored in Analytics Plus. Instead, Analytics Plus will display live data from your database when reports and dashboards are launched. Live connections offer the convenience of real-time updates.
Live connection setup can be initiated by selecting the connection type as Live connect in the database Import screen.
Follow the steps below to setup a live connection with your database:
Enter the host name, port number, user name and password of the database you wish to connect to, and select the connection type as Live connect.
In the next page, select the tables you wish to analyze. The tables you have selected from the database will be listed under Selected Tables.
Click on Connect to proceed with the import process.
It might take some time to establish the connection, depending on the performance of the database server. On successful connection with database, a sample workspace as shown below will be created in Analytics Plus.
For each table in source database, there will be an equivalent table created in Analytics Plus with the same table name. The table relationships defined in the target database (via foreign key) will be carried over to Analytics Plus as is.
Once you set up the database connection with Analytics Plus, you can edit it any time. Open the workspace in Analytics Plus. Click the Data Sources button in the side panel. This opens the Local Database Connection Settings page using which you can manage your connection.
- Select the Edit Connection button.
- New tables that have been added to your source database can be linked to Analytics Plus using the +Add More Tables option.
- If the table structure in database has been changed, the new design can be synchronized using the Sync Design button.
- To delete a table from Analytics Plus, click the Delete icon next to the table name that appears on mouse over.
There are a few scenarios that could result in mismatch between the source (database) tables and the corresponding tables in Analytics Plus.
There are two types of mismatches that can occur:
Table mismatches are caused due to two reasons:
- Case 1: When a table has been deleted in the source database, but not in Analytics Plus. To resolve this mismatch, the corresponding table needs to be deleted from Analytics Plus.
Note: Once you delete the table, all the reports created on that table would be deleted as well.
- Case 2: When a table has been renamed in the source database, but has not been renamed in Analytics Plus. To resolve this, click the Remap link near the table name, select the table that has been renamed, and click Remap.
Note: For a remap to be successful, the existing table in Analytics Plus and the renamed table in source database should have the same structure.
Column mismatches are caused due to two reasons:
- Case 1: When a column has been deleted in the source database, but not in Analytics Plus. To resolve this mismatch, the corresponding column needs to be deleted from Analytics Plus.
Note: Once you delete the column, all the reports created using that column data would be deleted as well.
- Case 2: When a column has been renamed in the source database, but has not been renamed in Analytics Plus. To resolve this, click the Remap link near the column name, select the column that has been renamed, and click Remap.
- As data from the source database is not stored locally in Analytics Plus, it might take some additional time to load reports. This loading time will depend on the performance of database.
- Any change in column details will not be synchronized automatically. The setup needs to be manually synced to access reports with the latest data.
- Query tables cannot be created in a workspace setup with live connect.
- Data from other data sources cannot be imported into this workspace.
- The data type of a column in Analytics Plus cannot be changed. The data type needs to be changed in the source database, and then resynced with the Analytics Plus application.