Software Deployment How To's
How to deploy software that has multiple installable files in different directory structures?
Most simple software applications has just a single installation file like setup.exe or the softwarename.exe. Some other applications will have more than one installable file but are within the same directory. Some complex applications like MS Office has multiple installable files with each set of files in different directories.
Steps to deploy Applications with multiple installation files with different directory structures
Step 1: Create a Zip File
- From the Windows Explorer, navigate to the base folder where the installble files are located [ for eg. C:\Software\Office 2010\ ]
- Select all the files using Cntrl + A
- Right-click and select 7-Zip/WinZip --> Add to archive..
- Give an appropriate name for the archive and save it as a .zip file.
Step 2: Add the Package in Desktop Central
- From the Desktop Central client, select Software Deployment tab --> Add Package button
- Select the appropriate Package Type.
- Specify a name for the application.
- Upload the zip file that you created in step 1.
- Specify the "Installation Command with Switches/Arguments" as relative path [ex. setup.exe /config "ProPlus.WW\silent-install-config.xml" ]
- Select Run the Script before Installing Software under Advanced Options .
- Specify the Script/Software name as "7z.exe x <filename.zip>" [Ex.7z.exe x office2010.7z ] where,
<filename.zip> refers to the zip file name that you created in step 1.
- Click Add Package
Step 3: Deploy to Target Computers
- Select the Package added in step 2 and cilck Install/Uninstall Software
- This creates an Install Software configuration with the package selected.
- Select the target computers.
- Specify the schedule options if required and click Deploy.