How to migrate Android devices between the different deployment modes of Mobile Device Manager Plus?
Mobile Device Manager Plus is available as a stand alone on-premises product, on-cloud as well as an add-on to ManageEngine's UEM solution, Desktop Central. If you are currently using any of the mentioned versions of MDM and are looking to migrate to another version, follow the steps given below.
- Set up MDM Server
- Integrate your directory services to sync AD users and groups
- Configure profiles and add enterprise apps to the new server
- Contact MDM Support to migrate Managed Google Play account to the new server.
- Create Groups on the new server. Associate profiles and distribute apps to the new group.
Enabling Migration profile
By default the migration profile is hidden. If you are using MDM Cloud, you can contact MDM Support to enable the Agent Migration profile. If you are using MDM on-premises, follow the steps given to enable the profile
- Stop the MDM server (either through Start -> Programs -> ManageEngine Mobile Device Manager Plus -> Stop or right click MDM logo in the notification area of Task bar and click Stop Service).
- Right click on the XML file, click on Save As and paste the file in <Installation directory> /bin.
- Navigate to <Installation directory>/bin and open the command prompt.
- Execute the following command Executequery.bat AgentMigration.xml
- Start the MDM server (either through Start -> Programs -> ManageEngine Mobile Device Manager Plus -> Start or right click MDM logo on the Notification area of Task bar and click Start Service)
Configuring Migration profile
Once the Agent Migration profile is enabled, configure the Agent Migration profile as given below:
- Open your current MDM web console and navigate to Device Mgmt -> Profiles -> Create Profile -> Agent Migration.
- Copy the JSON from Knox Mobile Enrollment tab in the new server.
- Paste it in the Server URL field in the agent migration profile on the existing server.
- Click on Download as .CSV to download the CSV file containing the managed device details.
- Edit the downloaded .CSV file and add a Column containing Group names created in the new server to which you want to assign the migrated devices. Moving devices to new Groups will automatically associate the profiles, apps and content distributed to the Group.
- Upload the edited .CSV file in the new server by clicking on Upload File.
- Now you can distribute the profile to the devices to be migrated.
Once the profile is successfully applied, the devices will be migrated automatically to the new server.
- Ensure the MDM server version is above 9.2.500.A and the devices to be migrated are running the updated ME MDM app.
- Audit logs will not be exported to the new server.
- Ensure both the servers are reachable from the devices to be migrated.
- Distribute the migration profile to a test device and verify if the test device is successfully migrated before distributing the profile to devices in your production environment.