Monitoring URLs for Availability
You can configure OpManager to monitor your Web sites. Many business enterprises require continuous monitoring of their Web sites, as the failure of these sites might have an impact on the business.
You can monitor global URLs, such as www.yahoo.com and www.manageengine.com.com or URLs in a server, such as http://192.168.4.11/index.html, http://web and so on.
You can perform a content match on these URLs and confirm their availability. Further, for pages that require a form submit, such as user name and password, you can provide these details and verify the availability of the next page.
Note: If a proxy server is configured in your network, make sure to provide its details in the Proxy Server Settings page of OpManager. Refer to Configuring Proxy Server Settings for steps to do this. This is required for monitoring any URL in a proxy-enabled LAN.
Configuring a global URL monitor
To configure a global URL monitor, follow the steps given below:
- Go to Settings > Monitoring > URLs
- Click Add New
- Enter a name to the URL monitor in the URL Monitor name field.
- Type the URL address to be monitored.
- Type the Monitoring Interval and the value of Timeout in the respective fields.
- Generate Alarm if Unavailable for : Enter the number of times the URL can go down consecutively before raising an alert.
- Match Content : Type the string (max. 250 characters) to be compared with the contents of the monitored Web page in the Match Content filed. Click on the Check Now button to instantly verify the correctness of the given details.
- Select between Get and Post, the methods for any HTTP/HTTPS-based URLs. This is required because certain URLs cannot be accessed using a Get request.
- Type the request parameters and their values in the form <parameter name>=<value>, if any, to know the actual availability of the URL. Note that you can enter only one parameter in a line.
- Configure the user name and password for authorization. This will be required in the pages where you need to log-on and test the availability of the host.
- Select the required notification profile type and click on Save button to associate it with this monitor.
- If you don't have a notification profile of a particular type, you can click on Add to create a new notification profile.
Viewing URL Response Time and Availability
You can get the details about the URL response time and availability in the URL snapshot page.
- To view the URL snapshot, click the URL link from Settings > Monitoring > URLs. Then click the URL whose snapshot you want to view.
- Click the Availability chart to view the availability history and the URL downtime/uptime chart.