Copying AD Group Attributes
This feature helps you create a new Distribution or Security group in the Active Directory by just copying the attributes of an existing group. Further, this feature also gives you the 'granular copy' option. That is, instead of copying all the attributes of a group, you can copy only the specific attributes that are required
Besides creating a new group, you can also create a new group creation template, with the appropriate values for the desired attributes, using this feature.
Steps to use the 'copy group attributes' feature:
- Click the Copy Group Attributes button.
This option is available in Create Single Group and Group Creation Templates.
- In the 'Copy Group' window that opens up, select the group whose attributes you wish to copy.
Use the search option located at the top of this window to find the desired group easily.
- Click the Copy button. This will copy the attributes of the selected group and display the copied values in the corresponding fields/attributes in the 'Create Single Group' or 'Group Creation Template' page.
Note: Instead of copying all the attributes of the group, you can copy only the specific attributes that are needed. To select the attributes that you wish to copy, click the Select Attributes icon which appears beside the display name of group, when you point the mouse over the desired group.
- If you wish to view the attributes that will be copied, before they are populated in the group creation template or single group creation page,
- Click the group whose attributes you wish to copy; you can now see all the copied attributes in a separate window.
- To add/remove the attributes from the list, click the 'Attributes to Copy' link and select the necessary attributes.
- Click the Apply button to copy the selected attributes and populate the corresponding fields in the 'Create Single Group' or 'Group Creation Template' page.
Select Attributes for Copying
This option helps you choose the attributes that you wish to copy from the selected group. Once you pick a set of attributes, the same set of attributes will be copied during every 'copy' operation. However, you can edit your selection whenever needed.
To select the attributes to be copied,
- In the Copy Group page, click the 'Select Attributes' icon; this icon will appear beside the group names when you point the mouse over the desired group.
You can now see the list of attributes that will be copied, based on the current selection.
- Click the Attributes to Copy link. From the attribute categories in the drop down box, select the required categories (General, Group and Custom Attributes) using the corresponding check boxes.
- From any attribute category, if you wish to select only specific attributes instead of selecting all the attributes in the category,
- Click the desired category; this will list all the attributes available in that category.
That is, to pick specific attributes from the General category, click on General.
- Select the desired attributes.
- Click the Ok button. You can now all the attributes that you just selected, along with their corresponding values, in the list of attributes displayed.
- Click Apply to populate these fields in the 'Create Single Group' page or 'Group Creation Template'.
- This selection will be used for all 'copy' operations (for creating a new group and also for creating a group creation template).
- If all the attributes in a category are selected, the checkbox of that corresponding attribute will have a tick mark inside it. If only specific attributes of a category are selected, there will be a solid square inside the check box instead of a tick mark. The checkbox will be empty, if no attribute is selected.
- The attributes selected are technician/user specific. That is, if a technician selects a specific set of attributes, only those attributes will be copied every time the technician uses the copy feature.