Remote Control Tools
This feature helps you employ different remote desktop software within AssetExplorer. By default, there are four remote control tools configured in the application. Out of the four, the Windows Remote Desktop tool is available by default on all the Windows machines while the Agent tool is available in the product, by default. The remaining remote control tools should be installed in the machine from which the remote control is initiated (client machine).
NOTE: Remote Control is performed from the machine you are currently accessing (client machine) and not from the AssetExplorer host server.
To configure the Remote Control Tools,
1. Click Admin tab in the header pane.
2. Click Remote Control Tools icon under Discovery.
Add a Remote Control Tool
You can integrate any number of remote control tools with AssetExplorer. In order to take the remote, the client machine must be Windows or MAC Operating System (OS).
NOTE: Each remote control tool has a set of commands to initiate the remote control process to the user machine. These commands differ for Windows and MAC OS. The commands for the Windows OS should be specified in the environment variable path, while the commands for MAC OS should be specified in the required path.
To add new Remote Control Tool,
1. Click the Add New link.
2. In the Remote Control Tool popup, enter the name of the remote control tool in the Tool Name field. For example: TeamViewer, LogMeIn. This field is mandatory.
3. Specify a brief Description about the remote control tool.
4. Enter the command to initiate the remote control process beside the OS of the client machine. The command will run in the client machine using the Java applet. Refer the prerequisites to know how to enable the Java plugin for Windows and MAC OS.
NOTE: The command is different for each OS. Make sure you have entered the right command beside the OS.
- Enable the check box beside the OS of the user machine. For example: If the client machine is running on Windows and the user machine on MAC, then enter the remote control commands for Windows OS and enable the check box beside MAC.
Click the Save button.
The configured Remote Control tools are listed as options under the Remote Control drop down menu in the details page of a workstation/server. You can choose to perform remote control from any of the tools. Refer Remote Desktop Sharing via Agent to know more about performing remote control through the Agent.
The Remote Control tool list depends on the OS on the client and user machine. If the OS is other than Windows or MAC, then the Remote Control option will not be available.
Edit a Remote Control Tool
1. From the Remote Control Tools List view page, click the edit icon beside the remote control tool to edit.
2. In the Remote Control Tool popup, you can modify the Tool Name, Description and the commands beside the OS.
3. Click the Save button.
Delete a Remote Control Tool
1. From the Remote Control Tools List view page, click the delete icon beside the remote control tool to delete.
2. A dialog box confirming the delete operation appears.
3. Click OK to proceed. The remote control tool is deleted from the list.
1. Click Tools -> Internet Options.
2. Select the Security tab and select Custom Level button.
3. Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets.
4. Make sure the Enable radio button is selected.
5. Click OK to save your preference.
1. Start Mozilla Firefox or restart if its already running in the system.
2. In the Menu bar, select Tools -> Add-ons.
3. In the Add-ons Manager window, select Plugins.
4. Click Java (TM) Platform plugin and select the Enable button beside it.
1. Click the wrench icon and select Settings.
2. Scroll down and click Show advanced settings... link.
3. Under Privacy, click the Content settings... button.
4. Search for Plug-ins and select Disable individual plug-ins.. link to check if Java is enabled.
5. Click the Enable link.
NOTE: If you find the Disable link, then Java is already enabled.
Apple supplies its own version of Java. Use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check if you have the most up-to-date version of Java. The Java plug-in is automatically enabled by updating the software.