1. Is Windows 9x series supported by Endpoint Central?
No. Windows 9x series are not currently supported.
2. How will I know whether Endpoint Central is currently running or not?
When the product is running, you can see the Endpoint Central icon in the system tray. Alternatively, you can check for the following processes in the task manager:
3. How to change the port number of the Web server?
During installation, you can specify an alternate port for the Web server, the default being 8020.
If you wish to change the port after installation, select Admin --> Settings and change the Web Server Port from the Port Settings. This change will take effect when you restart Endpoint Central.
4. Why my computer is not listed in the managed computers list?
This happens when
5. How do I know the status of the applied configurations?
You can view the status of the deployed configurations in the Endpoint Central client by clicking the View Configuration link.
For details on various states, refer to the Managing Configurations and Collections topic.
6. What types of scripts are supported in Custom Script configuration?
In addition to the configurations that are supported by Endpoint Central, administrators can also write their own scripts that could be run on the user machines for accomplishing specific configurations. The scripts could be any of the following:
The script engines for languages like Perl, REXX, and Python, must be registered with Windows.
7. Can any executables be installed using Endpoint Central?
Any application in Microsoft Software Installer format (.MSI files) or in an EXE format can be installed using Endpoint Central.
8. Can I use Endpoint Central in a multi-domain, multi-domain controller environment?
Yes, you can use a single installation of Endpoint Central to manage multiple domains in the same LAN.
9. Why the status of the configuration never change to Executed though the configurations have been applied on all the targets?
There is a possibility that there are some inactive users within the defined target. Add them to the inactive users list to get the accurate status of the configurations.
10. When a Site is given as a target, the status always shows as In Progress. Why?
There is no way to determine the user count in a given site. Without this it is not possible to verify whether the configuration is applied to all the users or not. Hence, the status is always shown as In Progress.
11. I am using the free version, but I see DesktopCentral folder in other machines which are not managed by Endpoint Central. Why?
Endpoint Central installs an agent or Client Side Extension (CSE) in the machines that are managed using the product. There is a possibility that during evaluation, you might have defined a scope that included more that 10 desktops. Since you can manage only up to ten desktops with the free version, you are still seeing the folders in the other machines that were managed during evaluation.
These agents will be removed when you uninstall Endpoint Central.
12. I have different types of Windows Os-es in my domain, such as Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, and so on. Is it possible to manage only the Windows XP machines in my network?
No. it is not possible to include the machines to be managed based on the OS type. When you select the Domain or the Organization Unit, all the machines under it will be included in the scope. However, you can exclude the machines from the target list based on the OS type while defining the configuration.
Refer to the Defining Targets topic for more details.
13. I have defined a set of security policies and the status is shown as executed. However, the policies defined does not seem to have been applied.
Endpoint Central applies the configurations as per the Microsoft guidelines beyond which we do not have any control.
14. What does "Not Applicable" in the Execution Status view indicate?
When a configuration is applied using Endpoint Central, the total target count, irrespective of whether the exclude criteria is defined or not, is shown as Total Target Computers in the Execution Status view . This is because, the number of desktops that falls under the exclude category can only be determined at the time of deployment in the client machines. This count is later included in the Not Applicable category to match the count.
For configurations that do not have an exclude criteria, the Not Applicable count will be zero.
15. What is the significance of the "Update Now" button shown in Report page?
The details about the Active Directory are periodically fetched and stored in the database. Any modifications in the Active Directory will not be reflected in the report immediately as the update is only periodic. To synchronize the data, click the Update Now button.
16. Will the inactive users be refreshed automatically?
Inactive user entries will be refreshed automatically whenever the Active Directory contents are getting updated in Endpoint Central's local database. Also the inactive user state will be made as active if any configuration, excluding Windows Installer, Alert, and Custom Script configurations, is applied for an inactive user.
17. I have uninstalled the Product, but the agents installed by Endpoint Central are not uninstalled. How to uninstall all the agents now?
When Endpoint Central is uninstalled, Uninstall GPO will be automatically created to remove all the agents during the next client systems reboot. If that has not happened, Uninstall GPO has to be created natively to uninstall agents of Endpoint Central from client machines. The GPO has to be created in the Domain Controller. The procedure to create the GPO is given below.
The batch file required for creating the GPO can be downloaded as a zip file from here.
For Windows 2000 Domain Controller
For 2003 Domain Controller
After creating the GPO, the agents will be completely uninstalled upon rebooting the client machines.
18. When I install the agents using the Install Agent button from the SoM page, I get the error as "Retrieval of WMI data on remote m/c has failed".
This could happen in any of the following cases:
Case 1: Specify the correct domain credentials in the SoM Page by clicking the Edit button.
Case 2: Either disable the firewall or modify the firewall settings to enable remote administration as given below:
Open the command prompt in the client machine, type "netsh firewall service type=remoteadmin mode=enable scope=all" and press enter.
19. Inventory scanning has failed. Why?
This could happen in the following cases:
20. I have set up inventory alerts, but I do not receive any alerts?
To receive email alerts, you should have configured the Mail Server settings in the product Server. Refer to the Mail Server Configurations in the online help documentation.