MSSQL Server Configuration for NetFlow Analyzer
If you choose to use MSSQL as the back-end database for NetyFlow Analyzer, we recommend that you create a separate account for NetyFlow Analyzer in your MSSQL database server. This ensures proper functionality. However, if you wish to proceed with your existing server account credentials, you may skip this configuration procedure and proceed directly with the installation.
Note: It is highly recommended that you use MSSQL database for production. This also provides failover/high availability.
Steps to configure MSSQL
Step 1: To ensure proper communication between the MSSQL database server and NetyFlow Analyzer, a new account has to be created with the below mentioned steps.
- Open SQL Management Studio and login using your Server Account (sa)/ Windows credentials.
- Right click on Logins
- Select New Login
Step 2: Select Authentication type. For Windows authentication, select and login using your Windows login credentials. For SQL Server Authentication, enter the password. Then proceed with Step 3.
Step 3: Click on Server Role. Select Server Roles "dbcreator", "public" and "sysadmin"
Step 4: Click on User Mapping. Map this login to "master" with database role ownership as "db_owner" and "public". Click OK.
If the SQL DB is going to be in a remote server, there are 2 additional steps that you need to follow:
- Download the SQL Native Client from the link below. You will need to scroll down the page for the Native Client downloads:
- http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16978 Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client (SQL Server Native Client) is a single dynamic-link library (DLL) containing both the SQL OLE DB provider and SQL ODBC driver. It contains run-time support for applications using native-code APIs (ODBC, OLE DB and ADO) to connect to Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005, or 2008. SQL Server Native Client should be used to create new applications or enhance existing applications that need to take advantage of new SQL Server 2008 R2 features. This redistributable installer for SQL Server Native Client installs the client components needed during run time to take advantage of new SQL Server 2008 R2 features, and optionally installs the header files needed to develop an application that uses the SQL Server Native Client API.
- X86 Package (sqlncli.msi) X64 Package (sqlncli.msi) IA64 Package (sqlncli.msi)
- For more details on installing the native client, refer this site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms131321.aspx
- Courtesy:http://msdn.microsoft.com - Here is a quick video of SQL Native client installation.
- Find the files bcp.exe and bcp.rll in MSSQL server and ensure to copy them under NetFlow Analyzer bin folder. If the MSSQL server is installed on a 64-bit OS, and NetFlow Analyzer is installed on 32-bit server, the bcp.exe and bcp.rll copied from the MSSQL server will not work on the NetFlow Analyzer machine.