How do I move ServiceDesk Plus from 32 bit server/application to 64-bit server/application?
Following are the steps to move data from the existing server to a new server,
Step 1: Stop ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus service.
Step 2: Kindly Upgrade ServiceDesk Plus if required. Refer to the link below to check if you are in the latest version;
Refer to the section UPGRADING ServiceDesk Plus of FAQ for detailed instructions for upgrade.
Step 3: Now start and stop the ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus service once after the upgrade process.
NOTE: If you are planning on performing multiple upgrades, please make sure you start and stop the application, and perform a backup before each and every upgrade.
Step 4: From command prompt, go to [ServiceDesk Plus-Home]\bin directory and executebackUpData.bat command to start the data backup.
Once the backup is complete, a backup file with .data extension is placed in the Backup folder under ServiceDesk Plus Home directory. This backup file contains information about the Build number of ServiceDesk Plus, and the date and time of when the backup was performed. Here is the format of the backup file.
Backup_ ServiceDesk_ [Build number] _Month _date _ Year _ Hour _Minutes
Step 5: Install 64-bit version ServiceDesk Plus on the new server. Use this link to download the EXE file http://archives.manageengine.com/service-desk/
Step 6: Copy the backup folder from the old server to [ServiceDesk Plus-Home] in the new server.
Step 7: To restore the backed up data, Go to [ServiceDesk Plus-Home]\bin directory and execute restoreData.bat. Choose the backup file while prompted. See example below:
cmd> [ServiceDesk Plus Home]\bin
where, Service Desk Home -> C:\ManageEngine\ServiceDesk [ Screenshot ]
Step 8: Start the ServiceDesk Plus server once after restoring the data in the new server.
Step 9: Set the new server name under Admin -> Self Service Portal Settings -> Alias url.
NOTE: Data can be restored only across same builds of ServiceDesk Plus version. i.e. data backed up in 7500 build of ServiceDesk Plus can be restored only in 7500 build. Please check if the old build and new build are of same build versions.
Build version can be checked
- By clicking on the About link in the application [OR]
- From buildInfo.xml file under /server/default/conf directory.
- If the old build is a different build, then the same build needs to be installed in new server. You can download earlier builds of ServiceDesk Plus from our Archives website http://archives.manageengine.com/service-desk/
- If I'm using MSSQL as database, how should I go about moving the application from 32-bit server/application to 64 bit server/application but using the same database?
Since you are using MSSQL, the database remains on the SQL server. So all you have to do is install the same version and build of ServiceDesk Plus on the new server and point the database to the SQL server while installing the product.
You can check your current version and build of ServiceDesk Plus by
- Clicking on the About link in the application [OR]
- Build version can be checked from buildInfo.xml file under /server/default/conf directory where, Service Desk Home -> C:\ManageEngine\ServiceDesk
- You can download 64-bit versions of ServiceDesk Plus from our Archives website http://archives.manageengine.com/service-desk/
The way ServiceDesk Plus is designed is that it does not store attachments in the database. They are stored in the file attachments folder of the installation directory (C:\ManageEngine\ServiceDesk) You would have to copy the following folders to the new server from the existing server in order to retain the file attachments.
- Inline images
- File attachments